Announcing VGX Live – A New Live Performance Tool for the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis!
We thought it was time for some more Sega chipmusic dev!
This new tool lets you perform VGM files live using a grid controller without the need for a laptop or even a tablet.
Right now we're looking for people to participate in beta testing. To start with we'd like to do a limited release to a few pioneering testers.
ROM Testers - We'll send you a ROM with pre-made tracks. You can test playback on any hardware with just a regular joypad.
Arduino Testers - As above but hooking up an Arduino Uno (or compatible) to the joypad port. We have a simple Arduino test program to control the Sega from the Arduino console.
Launchpad Testers - As above but testing the full Launchpad setup. USB Host Shield for Arduino required.
VGM Testers - We'll send you our ROM builder. See if your tracks play back properly on our engine. This can be done with just an emulator. Add section/block markers to your VGMs and check the player can loop blocks, jump around in the track and mute/unmute correctly.
*We've tested on PAL Mega Drive II. It would be great to get some NTSC systems and Nomad tested as well.
Let us know if you'd like to help out with any of the above by replying below and/or PM.
xspheric – software / design / testing
freezedream – initial concept / design / hardware / testing
• Employing the fantastic development kit, SGDK and Z80 sample player created by Stephane Dallongeville.
• Currently compatible with the original Novation Launchpad
• No laptop required!
• Open source software (Mega Drive / Genesis ROM builder + Arduino firmware)
• DIY-friendly hardware (Arduino + USB Host shield)
- program your own Launchpad layouts on Arduino
- program your own alternative controller input sources on Arduino
• Single cable into control port 2 (compatible with Sega Nomad (untested))
• Channel grid, block selection and track selection visualized on the Sega side
• Synced button presses and button lights on the Launchpad side
• User-friendly ROM builder with VGM file input
• Independent muting/unmuting control of every channel (FM + PSG)
• Queued mute/unmute synced to block start position
• Instant mute/unmute via Function button or Execute button
• Mute/unmute all; separate mute/unmute FM or PSG
• Supports user-defined loop points for blocks of patterns
• Loop blocks assigned to separate pads for easy queuing
• Next/Previous loop block selector
• Track name selector (track names extracted from GD3 tags)
• Next/Previous track selector
• Full sample support (compatible with Deflemask, up to 32kHz sample rate)
• Low latency sample pad triggering (latency looks worse in the video than it actually is due to bad syncing!)
• Note trigger pads (selectable scale)
• MIDI IN to allow the use of other controllers
Live Performance Example:
Last edited by freezedream (October 3, 2016 1:03 pm)