Philadelphia, PA

I just received a Super Game Boy that I won in an eBay auction and decided to test it out for the first time. I'm finding that the audio output when running a GB cart is really, really, ridiculously soft. The start-up sound is certainly loud enough, and normal SNES games are working fine with regular levels.. I thought maybe it might be an LSDJ thing, but even a normal GB cart (Super Mario Land 2) is practically inaudible unless I turn the TV up like four times as loud as I normally have to set it. I guess I'm wondering a) if this is normal (doesn't seem likely) and b) if anyone else has experienced this and might know why it's happening or have a fix (besides a pro-sound mod). I guess this is what you get when you win an SGB for $6 :-/ Though it was described as working well...

Thanks!

chipocrite wrote:

I just received a Super Game Boy that I won in an eBay auction and decided to test it out for the first time. I'm finding that the audio output when running a GB cart is really, really, ridiculously soft. The start-up sound is certainly loud enough, and normal SNES games are working fine with regular levels.. I thought maybe it might be an LSDJ thing, but even a normal GB cart (Super Mario Land 2) is practically inaudible unless I turn the TV up like four times as loud as I normally have to set it. I guess I'm wondering a) if this is normal (doesn't seem likely) and b) if anyone else has experienced this and might know why it's happening or have a fix (besides a pro-sound mod). I guess this is what you get when you win an SGB for $6 :-/ Though it was described as working well...

Thanks!

could be dodgy contacts, or the caps have blown in the super gameboy, never heard of that happening but its possible

Philadelphia, PA

Hm. I guess I should try to open it up and clean it and look for anything else fishy in there. I feel like this seller deserves negative feedback >:(

San Francisco

low-gain made a promod out of this shit. its supposed to be good.

lolusa

I find SGB good for composing when batteries are dead, or for demonstration purposes.
I've yet to hear anyone performing with one though, I would if I could find two of the 2nd model ones with link ports.

England
ovenrake wrote:

I find SGB good for composing when batteries are dead, or for demonstration purposes.
I've yet to hear anyone performing with one though, I would if I could find two of the 2nd model ones with link ports.

Link port mod for model 1:

http://www.devrs.com/gb/files/sgbmod.txt

Philadelphia, PA

Pro-mod would be cool but if there's something wrong with the cart itself, would that necessarily fix it? It could go either way. I'd be fine with a normal SGB (also just using it for messing around or when batteries die, etc.) if the volume output wasn't so brutally low on the one I got. Haven't had time to try cleaning it.. maybe this weekend.