Chicago, IL

I'm preparing a speech last minute that will be demonstrating the art of making music on a game boy.
Is there any specifics I should include? I'm going to keep it broad and basic for the listeners sake.

Savannah, Georgia

well, most of all include the WAY it's done and the 'instruments' (waveforms) used in chip and how they're used

explain the culture, primary defining artists, watch Reformat the Planet and reference it, and explain the technical side of it, also how it's not just about video games and nostalgia, but using it as an art form and making music that appeals to us personally.

also tell them about Chip for Cancer so I get more donations

Boston, MA

teach me how to beep boop

but seriously, drop some demoscene knowledge. it's neat stuff, sets the stage well for talking about gameboy music, and most people have never ever heard of it.

Last edited by campbell (Apr 16, 2012 3:57 am)

buffalo, NY

I just gave a presentation on chipmusic.   Research dawg

Last edited by danimal cannon (Apr 16, 2012 3:59 am)

.FILTHadelphia
campbell wrote:

teach me how to bernie

but seriously, drop some weekend at bernie's knowledge. it's neat stuff, sets the stage well for talking about movin' like berney, and most people have never ever heard of it.

Fixed that for ya.

rochester, ny
squidula wrote:

I'm preparing a speech last minute that will be demonstrating the art of making music on a game boy.
Is there any specifics I should include? I'm going to keep it broad and basic for the listeners sake.

plagiarize heavily from other similar presentations you'll find on youtube. that's what i do.

Boston, MA
defiantsystems wrote:
campbell wrote:

Well I have a new dance, that you all must learn
You may have seen the Pee-Wee
Herman but it's had it's turn
Now this brand new dance, I know you not with it
You might break your neck, to really try to get it
If you seen the Columbia movie it was called The Jerk
You had to check out Steve Martin as he started to work
He was doin freaky moves with his feet and head
With his blue farmer suit and his big Pro-Keds
Now if you wanna learn it, it really takes time
That's why I'm here now tellin you this rhyme
And if you never seen it, then I'll be startin
My brand new funky dance, called the Steve Martin

Fixed that for ya.

fixed that fix.

Fargo

I'd include something about this medium being a self-sustaining genre of music.  All of the programming and engineering done for us has been by other talented individuals within this community.  You may want to mention Johan Kotlinski (creator of LSDJ) and Oliver Wittchow (Creator of Nanoloop), Trash80 (Arduinoboy, among other things, and who also is responsible for this site), and some other important figures in the formation of what chip music is now.