Hey guys,

I've just released a new version of my beat slicing / sampling tool, BeatCleaver, and I think it might be useful to some of you guys here.

Edit: Wow, that was fast! The two free copies have now been given away to Akira and VCMG for replying first.

In a nutshell, BeatCleaver might be useful to chiptune artists in a few situations:

1) If you're still using Audacity for cutting stuff up, you know how frustrating the UI can be. Navigation and previewing loops is way easier in BeatCleaver.

2) If you've written a song and you want to resequence it live, you can do a multi-track export from your DAW/tracker/etc and then slice up the tracks every X bars with BeatCleaver. I used to write stuff in energyXT2 and there was no sane way to export my tracks so I could remix them live in littlegptracker. Now there is!

3) It's not too shabby for finding really short loops to use as oscillator sounds...

4) If you're DJing live with Mixxx or Traktor, you can grab loops from chiptune songs and use them in your sampler decks.

The new version adds support for MP3/M4A formats, nice fluid zooming, and an "Advanced Slicing" menu that lets you slice by beats or bars as I mentioned in #2 above.

I hope this tool is useful for some of you guys here! If you're interested in it, there's a free trial version available on the site, or you can buy the full thing for $15 USD / €13 / £10.

Thanks guys, and if you have any feature suggestions or feedback, please let me know! (You can post here or email me directly at [email protected])

gify!

Last edited by gify (Apr 15, 2012 10:20 pm)

New York City

I want one big_smile

California

This might come in handy for something I'm working on right now.

Last edited by VCMG (Apr 15, 2012 10:14 pm)

Chicago IL

aw dammit

detroit

this is nifty

Milwaukee, WI

Woah, I can definitely see this uses of this for Piggy! Do want.

New York City

I'mm gonna try this with ProTracker!

Can anybody comment on how well this tool performs? If it can beat Audacity then I'm gonna be all over this!!

Nashville, Tennessee

looks useful, nice clean interface. will give it a run and see how it holds up

Tokyo, Japan

Cleatbeaver!

xombiexplox wrote:

Can anybody comment on how well this tool performs? If it can beat Audacity then I'm gonna be all over this!!

+1

What do you guys think, even just from the trial?

I was really hoping to make something that was easier to use than Audacity for sampling. Whether or not I've succeeded .... is up to you! So don't hold back, I need your honest opinions. wink

Thanks guys!

Tokyo, Japan

I will try as soon as i get net running again at home

New York City

I think this is the first time I win anything big_smile
I'll comment as soon as I give it a try! I Really would like to have some exported samples I can jam on with a tracker.

Abandoned on Fire

This looks really user friendly and cool.  One question: in all the screenshots and videos there is only a mono waveform shown, how many separate channels of audio can BeatCleaver handle?

egr wrote:

This looks really user friendly and cool.  One question: in all the screenshots and videos there is only a mono waveform shown, how many separate channels of audio can BeatCleaver handle?

BeatCleaver handles mono and stereo files. When a stereo file is open, the waveform draws the left/right channels interlaced so it more or less looks the same. (The song at the end of the video is stereo.) Having the stereo waveform drawn like this might sound weird compared to stacking the channels separately, but when you zoom all the way with this new style, it makes it easier to find zero crossings that are in _both_ channels. I hope that makes sense!

Abandoned on Fire
gify wrote:
egr wrote:

BeatCleaver handles mono and stereo files. When a stereo file is open, the waveform draws the left/right channels interlaced so it more or less looks the same. (The song at the end of the video is stereo.) Having the stereo waveform drawn like this might sound weird compared to stacking the channels separately, but when you zoom all the way with this new style, it makes it easier to find zero crossings that are in _both_ channels. I hope that makes sense!

Indeed it does!  Actually makes a whole lot of sense the more I think about it.