Gosford, Australia

how does that plug work? like, what processes does it go through to remove hum?

Montréal

You select and scan the "footprint" of the noise you want to remove then you run the denoiser. Their algorithm is quite powerfull, it scans the whole song and attenuates/remove (depending on parameters you choose) everything that looks like the noise profile you captured. There's some resynthesis going on as well, you can edit the frequency spectrum with photoshop-like tools. It is a quite complete solution for audio cleaning in general.

Last edited by Zombipnok (Apr 16, 2012 11:33 am)

IL, US

^ i use a similar noise removal tool in cool edit 96 smile

BOSTON

this sounds like an awesome utility! thanks for the tip

Wilmington,NC

I'm looking for ways to do this live. This thread has actually been quite informative so far.

Tacoma WA

learn to embrace and love the noise!!

Wilmington,NC
infradead wrote:

learn to embrace and love the noise!!

This is America. We don't even have to love each other.

BOSTON

hey, in some situations noise management is pretty helpful

Sweeeeeeden

BP, are we talking about a prosounded boy?

BOSTON

yep.

I mean, this is all small stuff though. live it is zero problem, but doing post-production stuff with gb tracks, it's nice to have options available!

Los Angeles, CA

Okay....
So...
I'm doing something completely insane right this very moment... and it's... kind of working.
Bear with me here... this is going to take some explaining, but I swear this will make sense.
I've been having difficulties mixing my GB tracks with other instruments, specifically working with panorama. I was recording all the GB tracks separately and mixing them together in post, and realizing that panning four channels of stereo audio is awful, terrible, and all but impossible since you're not working with a real actual mono center, but a phantom center produced by two audio signals taking up all kinds of unnecessary space in the panorama, leaving little room for my other crap, and mudding everything up once I hit the limiter at the end.
I didn't want to mono my tracks out because I program with a LOT of stereo effects to create space and definition and I love how wide that sounds. What I decided I really needed was to isolate the stereo effects and leave them wide, and have a true mono track of the center stuff that I can pan around. This led to discovering something pertinent to this topic...
Step 1:
I made a new copy of the song with ONLY hard panned notes playing. I changed all instances of "O:LR" to "O:--" so the notes still played, they just had no output. I left all the "O:L-" and O:-R". (It only took a couple minutes since most of my panning is in tables and instruments.) Recorded that.

Step 2:
I made a new copy of the song with ONLY the mono notes playing. I changed all "O:L-" and O:-R" to "O:--" Here's where it gets wacky.
I changed all "O:LR" to "O:L-" so everything that used to appear in the phantom center is now mono coming out of the left channel. Why?
Now, when I record the mono section of my songs, I have one channel of music on the left, and one channel of NOISE ONLY on the right... See where this is going?

Setp 3:
I Inverted the right channel of the recording, then and fed them both together. It canceled the hum. GONE. The white noise remains, but that pesky hum is 100% eradicated, so there's no need to for me to notch filter anything ever again. I also inverted one of the channels of the stereo effects recording- the hum remains on that as I don't want to mono them out, but inverting one side does remove a bit of noise from from the phantom center.

So now I have my stereo effects isolated and panned hard left and right as they should be with a hum-free MONO recording underneath it which I am free to pan around easily... The jury's still out as to whether or not it was worth the effort, but it was at the very least an interesting find... *Frankenstein cackle* *lightning*

Los Angeles, CA

Update: The jury is no longer out. It is back. This works incredibly. I tried it on a DMG with mediocre results. I tried it on my SP- it removes 90% of all noise. I'll probably post a sample and make a thread on this... So yeah. This is the way. Especially if you're recording channels separately. Pan everything to the left channel, record stereo. Invert the right channel, and mono it out. If you want to keep your panning effects, go back and record JUST the hard panned stuff and mix that back together. The only issue I can see is that you lose whatever M command panning effects you do, but its well- WELL worth it.

Last edited by EvilWezil (Apr 20, 2012 7:25 am)

buffalo, NY

Hey. I like this guy

Los Angeles

that is endlessly fascinating mr.wezil. i can't wait to hear this.

Los Angeles, CA

New tip I discovered:
Sidechain your noise gate to an EQ set to liberally kill all of the bad hum range with a pretty wide Q. This way the noise gate doesn't respond to that garbage- only actual notes, allowing you to set it lower, making damn sure you don't lose any important stuff.
... the more you knowwww...

Los Angeles, CA

Here. A full disclosure of this process, with some sample audio:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6976/ … inversion/