Sacramento, CA

Hey everyone, i'm new to this board and new to the chiptune scene as well. I recently got turned onto DMG production from another music board I frequent and bought a DMG off craigslist. I have minimal experience (not the same as zero experience) with circuit bending and electronics and thought that this would be a great project to invest time into. I plan on doing some basic mods to my DMG like prosound and picth knob/underclocking.
Anyways, I've sold a few of my things to get money for LSDj from kitsch and want to know what synths the community suggests to fill in my 3 empty rom slots on the cartridge with. I'm mainly interested in DMG production as a sound source and less interested in using my gameboy as a dedicated workstation and being that LSDj is a tracker to begin with if I do want to create a chiptune song I always have that to use. Also on the kitsch-bent site it states that the carts "game *.sav file is stored in sram. only one *.sav can be stored at the same time". Does this mean that I'm not able to save and hold synth sounds from multiple synths and that I would have to upload the sounds from one synth if I want to save them before I start making sounds on another synth?

I've read http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/5574/ … nths-list/ and really want to know your opinions on nanovoice and pixelh8 musictech v2.

uhajdafdfdfa

if you have an arduino boy then MGB would be a cool one to have

BOSTON

if you buy an EMS cart, you can have 2 different .gb files which can be different programs (like LSDJ and nanovoice, or a game rom or whatever), but only one .sav file which is a save state OF that program (so: songs, etc.)

im not sure exactly what you mean by "holding synth sounds", as LSDJ IS a multi-synth with 4 separate channels and holds the possibility of literally hundreds of different synth instruments within each channel in each song file, and each cart can hold, maybe 15 - 20 songs depending on file size. If you are talking about samples, you can create your own sound bank for the WAV channel and build 20+(?) different sample kits with whatever sounds you want, provided they are under a certain file-size

hope that helps?

United States

put 8cylinder's POUNDER in all 4 slots.

Washington / California

I think you may be confused. This doesn't work like DAW plugins, each rom is a standalone software that sequences, plays synth voices, and saves written songs.

LSDj works on a song-to-song basis, meaning synth patches in one song have to be reprogrammed in another song.

as far as the .sav thing goes, I'm not sure how it works with more than one thing on the cart.

Sacramento, CA

Looked into arduino boy and mGB and that DEFINITELY sounds up my alley, although it might take me awhile to save up money to get the parts. (which are admittingly cheap, but i'm starving artist mode) Soo slot 1 is going to be LSDj and slot 2 is going to be mGB. I guess those are the two slots i'm restricted to? because i'm really liking the idea of a simple dedicated 8 bit drum machine...

Also in regards to bright primate: I guess my wording was pretty confusing. What i'm asking is if I make a bunch of sounds in LSDj and save the presets for later use, will I be able to then go into mGB and make a bunch of sounds and save those presets as well? Or will I have to upload the LSDj presets to a computer before I can save presets on mGB?

Sydney, NSW
Slumpy wrote:

What i'm asking is if I make a bunch of sounds in LSDj and save the presets for later use, will I be able to then go into mGB and make a bunch of sounds and save those presets as well? Or will I have to upload the LSDj presets to a computer before I can save presets on mGB?

LSDJ and mGB are two totally different software programs - the way they save data is different. The sounds aren't saved as "presets", they aren't even saved individually. There isn't a way to extract the instruments to a single file or preset.
To add, the way you create sounds in mGB and LSDJ are two totally different approaches. You might be fiddling with numbers and shit on both, but you're fiddling with different numbers and shit in each program.

shanghai

an arduinoboy and mgb is what you are looking for yes. lsdj and mbg on same cart. lsdj uses the .sav to save your songs. presto : )

rochester, ny

to be fair, you could answer a lot of these questions for yourself after you get the cartridge.

Sacramento, CA
nickmaynard wrote:

to be fair, you could answer a lot of these questions for yourself after you get the cartridge.

I was under the impression that the games had to be flashed onto the cartridge with a GB transferrer; does the USB port on the cart itself allow me to drag & drop roms in and out?

rochester, ny
Slumpy wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

I was under the impression that the games had to be flashed onto the cartridge with a GB transferrer; does the USB port on the cart itself allow me to drag & drop roms in and out?

Yeah, the USB port allows that.

Sacramento, CA

Ha, well thanks for the help guys. Just bought LSDj and the cart and asked for mGB to be put on it as well. I'm excited!!!! Anyways this thread can die now.

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

i heart nanovoice