England

talk to your audience? i find its normally pretty good to try and say a few things, make em laugh, engage with them somehow, get some banter going on but dont make em feel awkward. Too many electronic artists are silent and awkward.

Last edited by Jellica (Apr 18, 2012 2:42 pm)

BK
VAN17INO6 wrote:

I've always wondered... how do you guys change the tracks? I mean, the loading time... doesn't it kill the show? I've always supposed i would use 2 gb with the same 2 .savs and play each song on each gb to avoid the silence, I'll definitely do that

Yup, that's what I do actually. two game boys makes it so the gaps between songs are minimized.

Brooklon
VAN17INO6 wrote:

I've always wondered... how do you guys change the tracks? I mean, the loading time... doesn't it kill the show? I've always supposed i would use 2 gb with the same 2 .savs and play each song on each gb to avoid the silence, I'll definitely do that

2 gameboys, 2 carts, link cable. All you need. You don't even need the same sav on the cart. Like djing anything - play one track on one gb. Sync the other cart. Bring in parts of the second track on the other gb. Fade out the first one. Rinse. Repeat.

Hell, you dont even need the link cable, just takes the guess work out of it. Allows you to focus on the transition without worrying about the sync, at least in my experience.

Last edited by Note! (Apr 18, 2012 4:21 pm)

Robotcity, the year 20XX

Pyrotechnics.

Sydney, NSW
VAN17INO6 wrote:

I'v never played live before, but i assume you'd just load up the next track as soon as the next one's done, while the crowd cheers or whatever tongue

Chicago IL
Note! wrote:
VAN17INO6 wrote:

2 gameboys, 2 carts, link cable. All you need. You don't even need the same sav on the cart. Like djing anything - play one track on one gb. Sync the other cart. Bring in parts of the second track on the other gb. Fade out the first one. Rinse. Repeat.

Hell, you dont even need the link cable, just takes the guess work out of it. Allows you to focus on the transition without worrying about the sync, at least in my experience.

yeah i don't do 100% gameboy sets at all, but my sets are continuous mixes, and mix the dmg to laptop by ear, all you have to do is use B+up / down on the tempo the way you would 'nudge' a record forward, to get it at the same place as the other track playing.

detroit

Last edited by barbeque (Apr 19, 2012 12:34 am)

Ciudad de méxico, MX

It depends a lot of your own style. I've seen meneo only using one prosounded gameboy, he talks to the audience while changing songs; and in some song files he has more than one track.

My choices:

1. Right know I only use a NDS lite with nanoloop 2.5, and work a lot on the song transitions to keep things running smoothly. I was about to program a little sample trigger patch on puredata to add some spicy samples on top.

2. Other sets of mine include a mixer with:

Two prosounded backlited gameboys running LSDJ

or

One prosounded backlited gameboy and One psp running LGPT.

Sometimes I have squeezed all the proyect space in some sets using LSDJ or LGPT, it gives me about 15-20 min of playing just one huge proyect with several short songs. Is a good excercise. My conclusion is that I love continuous live playing, it suits me better.

A final good advice is to hear other people live sets, it will make you an idea of what you'll like to do.

Last edited by Analog (Apr 19, 2012 12:34 am)

FlashHeart

You should only leave enough space between songs for Dee Dee Ramone to yell "1,2,3,4!"

shanghai

you really just need lsdj and a gameboy. the show will be good only if your set is decent. ive seen a show with the first dude had his painted up modded gameboys, kaoss pad, nice mixer....but the music was amateur 'my first chiptune unce' crap and it was a rubbish show. he spent way more time making his shit loke dope as opposed to sounding dope ...... the next guy had a fucked gameboy with the batteries held in by tape and a miners light on his head with elastic so he could see. his tunes were as raw as his set up and the show was wicked.

Last edited by Downstate (Apr 19, 2012 1:40 am)

shanghai

also being ever so slightly drunk makes it better. everytime. playing stone cold sober sucks ass

Chicago IL
Natty wrote:

You should only leave enough space between songs for Dee Dee Ramone to yell "1,2,3,4!"

too soon.

FlashHeart

I didn't say he'd actually do it. Just that that's the perfect amount of time between songs... It's been standardized internationally.

Godzilladelph
Kris k wrote:
VAN17INO6 wrote:

Yup, that's what I do actually. two game boys makes it so the gaps between songs are minimized.

It helps if you write a shitton of different songs on two diff carts on two different gameboys and mix back and forth
a mixer with nice cross faders helps as well smile

or you could just get shitfaced and yell at your audience in between songs

Last edited by SKGB (Apr 19, 2012 5:57 am)

orange county, CA
VAN17INO6 wrote:

this is what i do, for now. hahaha.
until i get another cart and new GBC to use, i'll be doing this method, when i get the other cart and GBC i'll be live mixing it for no silence or pause.

UK

The right haircut.