Savannah, Georgia

for portability and budget, i grabbed a pair of Audio-Technica SJ-11 headphones. shit's good.
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-SJ11 … 004RO3V6K/

Last edited by Aeros (Apr 20, 2012 1:15 am)

Chicago IL
celsius wrote:

And when we're talking about studio headphones then that is what you're aiming for. Something that is representative of the "true" sound being produced from your output, with as little 'colouring' of the sound as possible. Not some massively isolating bass bin ear muffs.

yes i can't stress that enough when it comes to using headphones for audio production.

if you write with some super bassy headphones, they'll only sound the same on a pair of those same headphones.

also get a headphone amp you guys

http://www.head-fi.org/

Fargo

Don't get Beats.  Beats are not for mixing audio.  They beef up certain frequencies, specifically bass frequencies.  So, when you mix with them, your mixes will end up weak on the bass end on other systems.  What you want is something with a flat frequency response.  If you're not married to the idea of having a detachable cord, Sony MDR-7506 headphones are great and a pretty standard choice in a lot of studios.  I own a pair myself and they are great.  And they are not too expensive.  If you absolutely need a detachable cord, maybe try something like these Sennheisers or these Shures.  An engineer buddy of mine has those, and he likes them a lot.

Chicago IL
Krubbz wrote:

If you absolutely need a detachable cord, maybe try something like these Shures.  An engineer buddy of mine has those, and he likes them a lot.

theyre even cheaper here http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH440-Prof … amp;sr=8-2

these are the ones i use, http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH840-Prof … amp;sr=8-1

they're more expensive, and i haven't used the 440s, but if these are 840s they have to be 400 better right

Fargo

Of course!  400 is a lot of numbers to be better.  big_smile

San Francisco

you guys are boss. thanx for all the advice. I will check em out and get back to you all. my budget was in the 400 range but anything lower is totally fine with me so long as it is a good build and quality.

New York City

Beats are an overpriced joke. You pay for Dr Dre's hoes.

I have a pair of Senheiser HD 25-II. I chose these because they work great at the studio and they excel in a live/dj gig. The audio is definitely quite flat, unlike most retrded dj headphones that exaggerate frequencies and make you deaf.

I didn't have money to buy two pairs. They are sturdy and durable, had mine already for 5 years and it's some of the best money I ever spent at about 200 dollars.

If you just want them for the studio and are not going to take them out, i'd look into some AKGs (maybe K240) or the Sony MDR7506. I hear only good things about the Sony and I can vouch for AKG, I used tO have a pair of K140s from the seventies that totally rocked.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Apr 20, 2012 10:23 am)

Saskrotch wrote:
Krubbz wrote:

If you absolutely need a detachable cord, maybe try something like these Shures.  An engineer buddy of mine has those, and he likes them a lot.

theyre even cheaper here http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH440-Prof … amp;sr=8-2

these are the ones i use, http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH840-Prof … amp;sr=8-1

they're more expensive, and i haven't used the 440s, but if these are 840s they have to be 400 better right

the 440s are good too

uhajdafdfdfa

i have Sony MDR-V6 it's good for the price but  you might be lookng for something more expensive

Melbourne, Australia

All the Audio engineers at my Uni, including the teachers enjoy the DT770 for closed-backed headphones.

If your mastering though as opposed to tracking, Go for open cans. Sennhiesers have got some great open-backed headphones.

I got told by the teachers and audio engies that it is not worth spending more than $300 on headphones.

NO DR.DRE FOR GOODNESS SAKE! hmm Music (Instrument) stores don't sell them for a reason...

AKG's are light, super light. They're great if your using for a long time late at night as you said.

But i don't think you can go wrong with the ones suggested.

Choose open or closed headphones first then narrow your search down.

If you want to listen to music cheerfully, you should get good headphones just like Dr Dre beats. Go to http://www.drdrebeatscheap.co.uk for the perfect sound.

NSW, Australia
Merrychinney wrote:

If you want to listen to music cheerfully, you should get good headphones just like Dr Dre beats. Go to http://www.drdrebeatscheap.co.uk for the perfect sound.

lol

I use a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990 open cans at home. Brilliant sound, but you need to have something that drives them well enough. They're the same as the DT-770's mentioned before in this thread, but open. In my opinion they sound better than the 770's.

On the run I pack a pair of Sennheiser HD-25-II, they shut out sound nicely, doesn't need much driving. Sounds good enough to use in a studio really.

Overall? HD-25-II can't go wrong. They're great and not as pricey as the Beyerdynamic cans. Plus, you can take them with you everywhere and not worry if they break, they're a quality make and if something breaks you can replace the part yourself.

EDIT: Oh, somewhat old thread. Oh well, here's my 2 cents anyway.

AKG's studio cans are great for the price, but they sound really flat and boring. (some argue that it's a good thing, but I just think they are outright boring)

Last edited by _-_- (Jul 19, 2012 10:42 am)

KC

Shure SRH440

TONS of bass, sound great, I use em to play my keyboards silently at night

yeah only $100

Last edited by Grymmtymm (Jul 19, 2012 11:16 am)

Austin, Texas
Flat_Mango wrote:

All the Audio engineers at my Uni, including the teachers enjoy the DT770 for closed-backed headphones.

If you're mastering though as opposed to tracking, Go for open cans. Sennhiesers have got some great open-backed headphones.

Choose open or closed headphones first then narrow your search down.

All of these things are the best advice.

I've been using Grados or Sennheisers for "serious" music stuff for a long time. after a while, if you listen almost entirely to music in headphones, you'll begin to acquire a feel for the bias that headphone manufacturers include in their products by design—to create their "signature sound."

I've owned multiple pairs of old school Koss PortaPros and Sennheiser PX100s—both of which are open back phones. These aren't what you want for studio sounds, but they are (or were at the time) the best headphones on the market that cost about $50—and they sound a lot like the more expensive headphones produced by each company.

What I've come to feel from thousands of hours of headphone time is that Sennheisers, generally speaking, tend to have some of the most neutral response of any similar product. My Koss headphones always had a slightly muddy and pronounced (but not unpleasant) bass frequency coloration. My Grados always had a really pleasant lower-mid emphasis that seemed very translucent, but "warmed up" recordings the way a lot of "audiophiles" like their headphones to do.

My Sennheisers, however, have always had the most neutral response. They've always seemed to accurately reproduce everything in a balanced and transparent way, clearly across their frequency range, without noticeable coloration.

That's all anecdotal, but I hope it's helpful. smile

As for Open vs. Closed, open air headphones just sound better in my opinion. The design principal they are based on allows the diaphragms in the earpieces to move air more freely, so there is less of a physical barrier to more accurate reproduction that has to be compensated for elsewhere in the construction. If you want to see what I mean, try on a pair of open headphones and cup your hands over the back of the earpieces. It'll sound like you're muting a trumpet or using a wah pedal, because you're obstructing airflow through the back of the phones and blocking a lot of low frequencies—literally a physical low-pass filter.

The tradeoff is that, if you're like me, you'll sit around listening to music at full blast in headphones and still have someone tell you that they can hear your music in the next room. So, if that isn't a problem for you, open phones all the way. If you have to avoid waking a baby or something, you can find closed headphones of comparable audio quality, but they tend to cost more.

The other alternative is canalphones / in-ear monitors. These tend to sound really good and be completely resistant to "bleeding sound" into your environment, but good ones can be 100 or 200 bucks. Also, they are like wearing ear plugs with speakers, and some people find that unpleasant for extended periods. Shure and Etymotic Research make pretty decent ones.

Holy shit, I forgot I was such a nerd about headphones.