Medina, Ohio

I believe that chipbreak's ingredients are as follows:
1. Previous Stated Things
2. Pure Awesomeness if executed effectively, like Saskrotch

UK
Saskrotch wrote:
The Silph Scope wrote:

You need to have a beard, for maximum BRK.

i just want to mention my body looks weirder than usual because i'm wearing 4 hoodies because of something i heard as a stage technique in The Art of 16 Bars.

as for all of this business going on here

it sounds like you're going down the path of 'chipbreak for the sake of chipbreak'. i'd say a good 90% of people who make chipbreak are in the same boat, so i guess that's okay.

i've been doing this shit since '03/'04, because, as cheesy as it sounds, it's what's been in my heart. that's important to this kind of thing, to me at least.

here are some tips for avoiding generic chipbreak, although i'm pretty sure that isn't your goal:

there's hundreds of breaks, the amen is just one of them, and there's all kinds of variation on even just the amen. look up stuff like 'jungle breaks sample pack' 'drum n bass drum samples' etc on google.

you don't have to use just one break, i usually have at least 8 different breaks per track. learn to layer drums. have a steady, loud main beat, and use the space around that for chopping.

repetition is death. change things early and often. treat the lead melodies like a solo that lasts the whole song. change the key, the structure, the tempo, the feeling, whatever, as the song progresses. try to make something where, if you played the first 30 seconds and the last 30 seconds of it for someone, they wouldn't think it was the same song.

keep your ears open for samples, all the time.

use synthesis methods from all kinds of console hardware (i routinely mix pulse waves, PWM, FM Synthesis, etc), then mix that with more modern sounds.

don't limit yourself to ANYTHING. DON'T set out to do something specific. let the medium take you along with it. be ready to abandon ideas that don' fit, because forcing them won't work. i said this on twitter the other day while working on a new track: "the reason i love writing music is because you're constantly approaching a blank canvas and surprising yourself." so just constantly experiment with sounds, melodies, chord changes, etc. eventually you'll stumble onto something amazing.

put some heart into it.

i think that's all i've got. maybe this'll be a good example, maybe it won't, but it's at least what i think chipbreak should be like.

hope this helps at least one person.

There are parts in this that are just really gorgeous.

Saskrotch wrote:

but then it sounds clunky! you'd have to tune it all to match the bpm

Renoise actually now has a break autosync to tempo (or user-defined number of tracker steps)

Earth

Here is a big ass zip full of breaks, including amen. Really clean samples.

.FILTHadelphia

I finished my DnB-esque song though I think DnB loses something with a single DMG. Maybe I need to program better breaks. Thanks breakphase for the breaks .zip will definitely be rooting through these.

Nashville, Tennessee
defiantsystems wrote:

I finished my DnB-esque song though I think DnB loses something with a single DMG. Maybe I need to program better breaks. Thanks breakphase for the breaks .zip will definitely be rooting through these.

a single DMG is more than capable of really cool DnB. promise.

dis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ4ESBW5h74