Iowa

I don't have any music making experience but this is my first time making something good out of LSDJ. They're not full songs at all but just a few second looping melodies that I'm having a hard time making them into full songs and I need a opinion on how good they're sounding. I have two melodies with bad recording quality out of male to male cord recorded on Audacity so if it's hard to give opinion due to the quality I could record the channels separately.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dn5jl3i84cwibrf

This is the first melody I ever made that sounds good (to me reminds me of Knife City) I didn't use a WAVE channel about 7 seconds of it

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mqxwae2ty32fmdb

And this second one sounds like a very simple NES melody that's 9 seconds

Any advice would be great (cause I suck)!

Last edited by ClairBear (Apr 23, 2012 12:57 am)

Austin, TX

Why didn't you just post them here?

Iowa

They're very short so I thought it wasn't really necessary but I can

Edit: One of the rule do say "Finished compositions only. Unmastered or "need's work" is ok." but these are just melodies and not complete at all

Last edited by ClairBear (Apr 22, 2012 5:48 am)

Gosford, Australia

I wouldn't really call the first one a "melody" so much as a "riff" but it's pretty cool! I like the other one more cause it's all bouncy and cheerful but they both sound just like intros to bigger things. What you do with them is up to you, but my advice is to fill out the stereo image with some panning and get a good understanding of the wav channel; you can get some real energy out of it!

Iowa

Thanks for the advice. The wave channel is one of the channels that I have hard times with especially with the first song. I'm not too sure if both of these could be intros though I imagine them being after intros

.FILTHadelphia

I'm partial to the 1st.  The only thing that's taking away from it is your use of the Pitch command. Nix that pitch shifting altogether and you have yourself one hell of a melody. As far as the second melody goes, I'm not digging it. It's probably just my bias to underdeveloped instruments in LSDJ but I just think your first melody sounded much better.

Iowa

What do you mean by "Nix that pitch" ?

.FILTHadelphia

Are you using the P command?

Iowa

Yes, I just didn't get the definition "Nix"

.FILTHadelphia

By nix I mean just remove the P commands. It's taking away from the melody.

Iowa

Taking away the melody I can see why and taking out the commands will make the notes sound shitty so I would have to come up with something new to make which isn't a big deal. I'm not trying to disagree with you maybe I should come up with something else

United States

they're both great

.FILTHadelphia
ClairBear wrote:

Taking away the melody I can see why and taking out the commands will make the notes sound shitty so I would have to come up with something new to make which isn't a big deal. I'm not trying to disagree with you maybe I should come up with something else

You can use the same notes just edit the instrument.

Sydney, NSW
ClairBear wrote:

Try the L command (perhaps L02 / L03?) on a few of the notes.

Iowa
defiantsystems wrote:
ClairBear wrote:

You can use the same notes just edit the instrument.

Chainsaw Police wrote:
ClairBear wrote:

Try the L command (perhaps L02 / L03?) on a few of the notes.

Thanks for the advice I'll start playing around with it also I uploaded a better recording of them

Last edited by ClairBear (Apr 23, 2012 1:01 am)