Tulsa, OK
4mat wrote:

chipmusic is dead anyway.

No music is dead - the scene very well may be dropping off the short lived pentacle it never reached, but chip music is just as dead as jungle, or big beat.

Last edited by Jake Allison (Apr 14, 2012 5:40 pm)

I came for the nostalgia, I stayed for the limitations.

Edit: spam removed

Last edited by e.s.c. (Apr 17, 2012 2:53 pm)

buffalo, NY

most relevant bot ever?

Nashville, Tennessee
danimal cannon wrote:

most relevant bot ever.

nashville,tn

something to consider is the temporal limitations of the data and hardware, eventually the circuitry of the gameboys,commodore 64's, atari's etc will deteriorate and no longer work, the battery in the cartridges will eventually die, sure the music can be recorded or sav. files can be backed up etc. but consider how a well made wood/metal instrument can survive thousands of years and music made for it can be easily preserved. its kind of ironic and poetic to make electronic music with re-purposed equipment one knows will break within their lifetime.

Liverpool, UK

When I'm on a computer making music and have 64+ channels or whatever, I dunno what to do - so I like having 4 channels, so that's why I like limitations.

tldr - suit up.

Texas

I've learned many things life.

Never talk about religion, politics, finances, or heavyweight rankings.

Today, I have just added chipmusic to this category.

buffalo, NY
sugar sk*-*lls wrote:

something to consider is the temporal limitations of the data and hardware, eventually the circuitry of the gameboys,commodore 64's, atari's etc will deteriorate and no longer work, the battery in the cartridges will eventually die, sure the music can be recorded or sav. files can be backed up etc. but consider how a well made wood/metal instrument can survive thousands of years and music made for it can be easily preserved. its kind of ironic and poetic to make electronic music with re-purposed equipment one knows will break within their lifetime.

I would argue the opposite. Barring the apocalypse the digital nature ensures the immortality. Also plastic will hold up way better than some organic wood.

nashville,tn

I would argue the opposite. Barring the apocalypse the digital nature ensures the immortality. Also plastic will hold up way better than some organic wood.

but thats the irony though isnt it? using gaming systems specifically over more powerful and accessible computers to make electronic music. granted this is nearing that slippery slope of: "what is chip music?" which i dont think is worth exploring in this thread. but i do think its worth pointing out that at the speed at which technology is advancing its a bit contrary to use game systems to create music-many of which are at least 20-30 old already.most instruments if properly cared for gain qualities overtime, not sure if gaming systems will or can. its sort of like using an etch-a-sketch to make art, yeah you can take a picture of it and preserve it but you know you gotta shake it up and lose the image to make another.

i mention this only because i've had to erase a few songs to make room for new ones on my cartridges, which has this neat almost buddhist quality to it, whereas when recording in cubase or something i can just dump the finished tracks onto a portable hard drive without a second thought.

i'll give you all some organic wood

California
sugar sk*-*lls wrote:

i mention this only because i've had to erase a few songs to make room for new ones on my cartridges, which has this neat almost buddhist quality to it, whereas when recording in cubase or something i can just dump the finished tracks onto a portable hard drive without a second thought.

You can transfer songs from LSDJ to your computer by USB or a transfer plug. Unless you can't acquire a transfer plug and your flash cart doesn't have a USB port, there's no need to delete them.

nashville,tn
VCMG wrote:
sugar sk*-*lls wrote:

You can transfer songs from LSDJ to your computer by USB or a transfer plug. Unless you can't acquire a transfer plug and your flash cart doesn't have a USB port, there's no need to delete them.

nanoloop 1.5 sad

buffalo, NY
sugar sk*-*lls wrote:

but thats the irony though isnt it? using gaming systems specifically over more powerful and accessible computers to make electronic music. granted this is nearing that slippery slope of: "what is chip music?" which i dont think is worth exploring in this thread. but i do think its worth pointing out that at the speed at which technology is advancing its a bit contrary to use game systems to create music-many of which are at least 20-30 old already.most instruments if properly cared for gain qualities overtime, not sure if gaming systems will or can. its sort of like using an etch-a-sketch to make art, yeah you can take a picture of it and preserve it but you know you gotta shake it up and lose the image to make another.

I disagree and can refute every single idea you've proposed but I'm at work.  It's an interesting discussion point but you're so, so, wrong

nashville,tn
danimal cannon wrote:
sugar sk*-*lls wrote:

I disagree and can refute every single idea you've proposed but I'm at work.  It's an interesting discussion point but you're so, so, wrong

cheerio smile lots of philosophical meat in there looking forward to hearing what ya got.