Iv'e been using LSDJ for quiet a while now and I'm wondering if  there is an alternative out there that allows me to have more than just Four layers sound (PU1, PU2, WAVE & NOISE) ?

using a link cable another gameboy and another cartridge with lsdj, nanoloop, etc

unless you're willing to use different hardware :T

San Angelo, TX

Those are the only four elements or channels of the soundchip Dumbass.
Use a link cable or other hardware smile

KC

the hospitality around here is awesome

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

There is, but it's forbidden magic. Only awesome people can do it.

San Angelo, TX
Grymmtymm wrote:

the hospitality around here is awesome

I bring 8bc to CM like Henry brings scene kids to da club my nigga
*homesweet that is

Last edited by Screamforme99 (Apr 25, 2012 4:08 am)

Rochester, NY

use the piggy tracker if lsdj isn't good enough for you

Screamforme99 wrote:

Those are the only four elements or channels of the soundchip Dumbass.
Use a link cable or other hardware smile

What a way to kick off the night ... But thank you otherwise, you did answer the question in detail and didn't do the whole "Only god knows" routine. smile

So couldn't there be a way to scale down LSDJ and emulate some more channels on top of the four available ?

buffalo, NY

Other than a link cable, no.  Use another instrument and overdub?   

However, those 4 channels are PLENTY once you learn to unlock their potential.

Gosford, Australia

link cable + other cart
never been able to finish a 2xLSDJ piece though, generally you can write extra harmonies in with the C command OR you can swap parts out and the listener's brain will fill in the gaps anyway. also you can make the wav channel sound like it's playing two octaves at once easily enough.

danimal cannon wrote:

Other than a link cable, no.  Use another instrument and overdub?   

However, those 4 channels are PLENTY once you learn to unlock their potential.

THIS!
I don't think I would even know what to do with 2XLSDJ, my songs would muddy up ridiculously quick!

You could try FamiTracker. There is a standard 5 channels but you can also have an expansion chip to get around 11 maximum. This varies depending on what expansion chip you choose. There is also now a hack where you can display all 25 channels in one screen, however some may not deem this legit. You can find all this on the FamiTracker forums.

Still uncertain whether you want to use just Gameboy. If you do hooking up to multiple Gameboys is your only option.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Zef wrote:

I don't think I would even know what to do with 2XLSDJ, my songs would muddy up ridiculously quick!

Often my problem. I use 2lsdjs a lot. But I like doing stereo echoes and more panning stuff. Oh and chords. Actual chords are so nice sometimes. But nothing beats the joy of successfully stuffing two melodies in one channel, so I still use one cart too.
Traveling with two gameboys gets a little ridiculous though. Even if they are gba sps.

Last edited by Auxcide (Apr 25, 2012 5:18 am)

Older versions of nanoloop use a fifth channel, but it's quite limited.

* One external sound channel. This is the fifth and least known channel of the Game Boy. It's an analogue input that allow external synthesis on cartridge to be mixed with the rest of the sound. To this date, no cartridges are known to use this functionality. However one freeware games uses the residual voltage on the pin to create a wave sound by quickly turning the channel on and off.

But no lsdj use, I'm afraid.

Last edited by Timbob (Apr 25, 2012 7:42 am)

hardcore, Australia

Give me 1 channel or give me death.

Give screamforme99 death straight up. Dudes a right cunt for someone who has only been here a few months.

San Angelo, TX
godinpants wrote:

Give me 1 channel or give me death.

Give screamforme99 death straight up. Dudes a right cunt for someone who has only been here a few months.

This man is Jesus, give him death.
Better yet, give me death.