Texas
EvilWezil wrote:

Did an album of this type of shite some years back:
http://evilwezil.bandcamp.com/album/chronophobe
Track time signatures:
3:  3/4 (speeds up until 4/4 with triplets)
5:  5/4
6:  6/4 (Yes. 6/4. Not a waltz.)
7:  7/4
9:  9/8
11: 4/4, 7/4, 13/4
12: Isometric
14: ?

Also, a 15-minute isometric single song relaxfest:
http://soundcloud.com/evilwezil/evilwez … -in-motion

I like oddfun.

This i actually very good.

danimal cannon wrote:

Real men do metric modulations. Check that Planet X shit

I've never heard of these before, I looked them up. I'll definitely be trying some of these!

Godzilladelph
Zef wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

Real men do metric modulations. Check that Planet X shit

I've never heard of these before, I looked them up. I'll definitely be trying some of these!

there was a name for that? word

That's how I mostly used to do tempo changes pre-chip. I generally don't like many abrupt tempo changes in a song without a common pulse (like if a section at 120 or something finishes, pauses, then a brand new section starts around 150) unless it's like for obvious reasons like using it to "speed up" a repeating section.

rochester, ny

Personal Pet Peeve - When people say a part is in some "weird odd time signature, bro" when it's just 4/4 with an extra beat once.

London, Ontario

or when people get an elitist attitude cause they think that just cause they use time signatures it makes their music "good"

It doesn't bother me too much. When people think too much into it, it becomes obvious in their music because of ignoring melody and repetition. It will almost always sound like shit with that approach, IMO!

uhajdafdfdfa

personal pet peeve: threads about time signatures, threads about chords, threads about scales, etc

Rochester, NY
nickmaynard wrote:

Personal Pet Peeve - When people say a part is in some "weird odd time signature, bro" when it's just 4/4 with an extra beat once.

yeah when I did yyz I was pretty appalled it was only in 5/4 for the intro

the rest is in 4/4

I thought rush was cool

BOSTON

metric modulation sounds really technical, but it's a pretty simple concept: basically you are using some pulse from one section as the anchor for the time signature for another section. Like, say you are in 4/4 and you are using a lot of dotted eighth-notes at the end of a section, then your next section is in 3/4 but using the duration of that dotted eighth-note as the tempo for your new "quarter-note". So technically from the stand point of your previous meter, the new section would be in 9/8 rather than 3/4, but you would do this to avoid certain notational conventions... like say you are using dotted-eighth-to-16th-note rhythms or something. To do this in notation, you simply put a little note at the top where the "tempo" would go that has "a dotted-eighth = a quarter-note".

Obviously it can be used for much more complicated changes then what I'm listing here, but it's not more complicated than that. The whole idea is that it he ear doesn't really notice that you're abruptly changing tempos.