London, Ontario

theres also the black metal alternative: record the speaker with an earbud

lolusa

Recording with a microphone kind of makes sense for an intro, but only if you had a microphone already plugged in and set up. Have you looked into any sort of post-processing? If you just want a hi-pass filter on some arpeggios, you can whip that up using the line-in. All it would take is audacity.

Fargo

You know, this is an interesting topic to bring up.  I've always found it easier to record line in, but you could get some interesting sounds by mic-ing up an amp, or even mic-ing a room with a speaker at one end.  It could sound cool.  I might try it.  As for mic-ing the speaker on the Gameboy, I probably wouldn't do it for much because it's not a good speaker.

Brazil

Yeah, what Krubbz said. The speakers are so quiet and awful that it doesn't worth the trouble, since you can plug it to line in cheaper and faster than micing it.

But, if you record from bigger speakers it might make some lo-fi sense. A guitar (bass would be better) amp would do the trick.

Godzilladelph

Do some Led Zeppelin shit, line out to an amp, bottom of a stairwell, put a mic at the top of the stairwell

Godzilladelph
egr wrote:

Line out to a cranked guitar amp in a tile shower and mic that shit.

while I'm taking a shower right?

San Francisco
egr wrote:

That's f**king hardcore! I'm so doing that for my EP

San Francisco
SKGB wrote:
egr wrote:

while I'm taking a shower right?

Of course! That's the only way to know if you've got a clean recording. *rim hit*