Tulsa, OK
Decktonic wrote:

- listen to songs I like, try to dissect what they did right

this, and when I get done with something (album, ep, track...) and I am creatively "empty" i like to collaborate with other artists, and/or get my tracks remixed and do remixes big_smile

Westfield, NJ
Jake Allison wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

- listen to songs I like, try to dissect what they did right

this, and when I get done with something (album, ep, track...) and I am creatively "empty" i like to collaborate with other artists, and/or get my tracks remixed and do remixes big_smile

I find doing remixes helps keep me creatively energized. Partly because I get to look "under the hood" of someone else's work, and partly because of the remixing process itself.

Czech Republic

I like the sound of gameboy in my headphones.
It's a pleasure to hear it rolling.

Amphetamines.

nashville,tn

its ok to let ideas die, not clinging to every idea i had really freed me.

detroit

blunts on blunts on blunts.

Psydney, Australia

shanghai
VCMG wrote:

Sometimes I'll listen to a song (might not even be one that I like) and there'll be one element in there that I think is really cool, so I try and write a song based around that element. Other times an idea will just pop into my head during the most unexpected moments (shower, toilet, math class, an all-day tour of a city) and if I can write it down quick enough it becomes a song.

pretty much this. and dope

Los Angeles, CA

I generally have a very hard time going back and finishing writing songs I started earlier. Either I get the song structured from start to finish in one sitting, or there's little hope for it. With this in mind, I try to make sure that I get the song skeleton all written out from start to finish before I go back into it and just tweak the programming and perfect the instruments and flesh it out and whatnot.
It's harder to do both at the same time- this is why there are composers AND arrangers. Focus on the composition first. This can be done in one sitting. Then go back and arrange afterwards.
Also, drink nice whiskey in large quantities.

Nashville, Tennessee
barbeque wrote:

blunts on blunts on blunts.

Austin, TX
theghostservant wrote:

I think my biggest motivation to compete a song is the need to have it completed for either a release or for live performance.

This.

Someone asked me to play at a house party recently, and even though I hardly had any material, I agreed to do it.  Over the next couple weeks I made 5 new tracks to go with the 4 I already had.  Many times I wanted to stop because I wasn't sure my best stuff was going to come out.  As the clock runs down though, you don't really have a choice.

I seem to work best under the pressure of a deadline.  It forces you to manage your time.

Mishawaka, IN

I have tried the deadline thing and but it was me relying on me not another person relying on me to get it done and it made me fail. I have many things started and ideas saved to come back to but my issue is going back to finish it.

Another issue I have is, my parents my whole life always put down any work I did art poetry and the such so I have negative reinforcement with my work and that is a demotion there and I struggle pushing past that. Just freaking over if they will hear it and judge me or find my journal for writing and read pieces they weren't even thrilled when I made it into art collage.

I also don't smoke pot it hinders me in my imagination and I have a hard enough time getting that under control and out sober.

San Diego, CA

you could just stop writing.

if it's been several weeks since you last wrote anything of worth and you don't feel bad enough to just immediately pick up your instrument and throw something down, you should probably rethink being a musician.

and honestly, the same should go for pretty much anything you do in life. if something makes you feel bad for not doing it, you should probably keep doing it.

South Jersey, USA

I get a lot of motivation from the show Gilmore Girls and more recently watching Krysten Ritter act. I like things that are dreamy and I like when I can pull off a dreamy sound in a pattern or two.

UK

necessity and vanity.

AANABAY01

sheer anger and bitterness
at my best i make deliberately exhausting and unintuitive music
i hope you can hear me saying "fuck you" in zem