so i just modded my third dmg and the problem on this one is when i turn the screen on it works perfect but then it slowly starts to fade away from pink to a light rusty color and i cant see the picture tongue any help?

KC

you prolly already know this check the ribbon connections.

with a few of mine, after I did the backlight mod I saved all those little foam pieces.

I used one of those foam pieces as a wedge to apply more pressure on the ribbon connection and that was enough on one to get rid of the horizontal dead pixels

Philly, PA, USA

also just make sure your batteries aren't dead

matt's mind

a few things jump to mind:
-- check batteries
-- you have a failed capacitor(s) (affecting contrast)
-- if the LEDs themselves are changing color (and its not a contrast effect), the LEDs may be burning out.  make sure you soldered to the right places in the tutorial you are following, and if you have a multimeter check it to make sure its not too far off from 5V.
-- or, they may not be getting a solid 5V, and the power fades off after initial power on (again, i'd say a cap problem).  LEDs can change shade when they are dimming or when they are about to burn out (especially then). 

i'd bet you've just got some leaky/failing caps.  even if you've got a DMG mint out of the box, the aluminum electrolytic caps in the DMG are expired.  all of them are.  whacky stuff is bound to start happening to them all without people changing out the caps, if you are visually seeing the fade away like that, caps behave in a similar manner in the way they work, so perhaps its something simple like this.

it is a contrast kinda problem tongue what can i do to fix it?

matt's mind

turn the contrast knob?

other than that, try out some of the stuff that's been mentioned already

Sounds like you have the exact same problem my backlit DMG has; does the contrast fade out, only to have you fiddling with it constantly to maintain a viewable screen? As Kitsch said, it's probably failing capacitors. A quick check with the multimeter revealed that to be the case, at least for me.

You might as well just replace all the caps while you're in there. They're ancient and bound to fail eventually. Especially since all of 'em can be had on the cheap.

matt's mind

or here http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/capacitor-kits if you want to bundle and/or compare w/ shipping to your destination

nah turning the contrast knob doesnt work tongue

im gonna post of video of it soon

http://youtu.be/Lfg7r2ZbDzM

Babylon, NY

I like how people have told you what you can do to fix it but you have been completely ignoring them.

im not ignoring them im taking their advice. i just posted a video so they can completly understand the problem

matt's mind

capacitor replacement.  probably.

is replacing the capacitors an easy process?

matt's mind

check out the page i linked to above, there is a tutorial on this page you can check out.

if you've never soldered before, this is actually a decent project to learn with.  some of the caps are harder to reach than others, but all are manageable.  if you did your backlight without getting dead lines, this should be no problem.

two things to remember when doing caps: some types are polarized (these are), meaning you can't just stick them in, but they have a + and - leg.  so, pay attention to that.  the other is that heat will kill your cap, so only solder as much as needed to get a nice flow.  then back off. 

that tutorial i think will answer your questions on its ease though, or lack of it depending on your skill level.