Psydney, Australia

What? You like the picture?

iLKke wrote:

I like the tech behind the picture.

Boston, MA

ya this is awesome

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Hehe, _this_ is the demoscene. It's a good seminar by Deekay. It might sound odd to some, these guys are always striving to make 'most' out of the c64. Trying to approach photo realism or generally making it look like a more high end machine. I believe this might be the difference between the (old) demoscene and today's chiptune scene.

As the demoscene originates from the 80ties, where e.g. the c64 was a 'high end' technology (for the common atleast), in that sense people would strive to make it look more high end, trying to polish away / hide the machine limitations. E.g. the strong anti-aliasing comes from this, and look at what people are doing with the SID. Where the demosceners aim at making low end technology look high end, the 'chiptune scene' embraces the low end looks.

'Wow, does this run on a c64?' vs 'Wow, this looks like it runs on a c64'.

I love how both schools meet and inspire eachother. But even the oldschool demosceners are changing, look at 1:03:45 - where an oldschool coder is somewhat addressing this topic. (infact, it's the 'pollution' he mostly fears.)

Sorry if i stepped on anyone's toes, this is quite a black/white story, ofcourse there're million shades of grey. And sorry for generalising 'chiptune sceners' and 'demosceners', i know better than this. In fact, this pov is somewhat dated, but it might help to put things in perspective.

Taste is another topic smile

Psydney, Australia
4mat wrote:
iLKke wrote:

I like the tech behind the picture.

Ah right, a plugin prevented the video from showing for me.
All I saw was the pic and so got confus

Cheers for the link!

Last edited by iLKke (May 6, 2012 11:38 pm)