buffalo, NY
Victory Road wrote:

yo has anyone done 4xDMG stuff before? how likely is it that i could keep 2 sets of 2 linked DMGs running at the same tempo?

chillbrave has, but I think they used it mostly for kick drum beefening.

Last edited by danimal cannon (May 8, 2012 1:26 am)

lol, 16 channels of LSDJ?!

Gosford, Australia
an0va wrote:

lol, 16 channels of LSDJ?!

aye! was listening to some really lush music made with sunvox and thought "y'know what i wanna make this sound work with LSDJ"

like i'm pretty sure it'd be really hard to do live (press start on two boys at the same time? sure thing boss!). i'm not going to rush out and buy two more carts just to find out that it sounds like a mess but by golly i wanna try.

San Diego, CA

all of my songs are 2xLSDJ hmm

you can use a modded 4-player adapter to keep 4 gameboys synced or you can just beatmatch them manually! it's honestly not that hard to hit start on both sets at the same time I swear.

every show I play now is basically a DJ set of my songs, so that means beatmatching! I run 4 gameboys into a 4 channel DJ mixer and monitor the mix using the pre-fader buttons. if you know anything about DJing then keeping 4 gameboys in sync is really not that difficult.

the basic show workflow goes:
1. start song 1
2. while song 1 is playing, load up song 2
3. when I get a chance, hit start on song 2 on time with phrase
4. put on headphones and monitor mix -- if song 2 is too fast, lower BPM a little until synced and vice versa
5. when song 1 is coming to a close (meaning just leads and kick), bring in lead from song 2
6. when song 2's main melody comes in, cut song 1

and then rinse and repeat for every song in the set!

it's a lot of fun and once you're good at it you can pretty much not talk for the entire set if needed smile

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I've always wanted to run my set like a dj. I'm normally playing leads on the microkorg or messing with the minikp looper.

nashville,tn
spacetownsavior wrote:

it's a lot of fun and once you're good at it you can pretty much not talk for the entire set if needed smile

ha. i realized recently i could just use my sampler for banter, load in a couple bits of choice hilarity and defer to my assistant whilst i shrug and nod.

Gosford, Australia

hmm okay sweet. stuff to think about! smile

hardcore, Australia

Airhorns.

Gosford, Australia
godinpants wrote:

Airhorns.

Kazoos!

San Francisco
godinpants wrote:

screamforme99. straight up cunt.

Godzilladelph
Chainsaw Police wrote:
godinpants wrote:

Give me 1 channel or give me death.

I challenge you to write an entire song using nothing but the noise channel.

Well, I believe we can tune the noise channel in octaves and fifths. Pythagorean scale, anyone?

Last edited by SKGB (May 10, 2012 5:55 am)

Sydney, NSW
SKGB wrote:
Chainsaw Police wrote:

I challenge you to write an entire song using nothing but the noise channel.

Well, I believe we can tune the noise channel in octaves and fifths. Pythagorean scale, anyone?

Really? I didn't know this happened, cool!

Milwaukee Area, WI

You could use an ArduinoBoy to take advantage of LSDJ's MIDI Sync capabilties and sync it with Ableton Live to layer in a lager expanse of sound.

How well this works? I have no clue, but I plan on getting an ArduinoBoy this summer and playing around with it so I can use Ableton's software instruments to add a more dynamic sound to layer on top of the gameboy's sound.

brooklyn
danimal cannon wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

yo has anyone done 4xDMG stuff before? how likely is it that i could keep 2 sets of 2 linked DMGs running at the same tempo?

chillbrave has, but I think they used it mostly for kick drum beefening.

ay! I just saw this.
Yeah, we did Vengeance Valley with 4xDMG.... it was the only track we've done like that though, such a pain in the butt.
We didn't use it much for ridiculous polyphony, but we layered sounds with it, did octaves of instruments, bigger chords, etc.
The kick was one entire game boy, with each channel as one layer of it.
Rarely in that track were all 4 game boys actually using all 4 channels simutaneously.  It was mainly for having more wav channels.  Also one game boy was specified as the "effects" DMG that was the only one being processed by PopSTAR's KP3.
so it wasn't necessarily 16 layers of sound (though cmon, think about how many synths these days have AT LEAST 16 voices... 16 layers of monophonic LSDJ channels doesn't seem all that ridiculous in comparison)

Kedromelon wrote:

(though cmon, think about how many synths these days have AT LEAST 16 voices... 16 layers of monophonic LSDJ channels doesn't seem all that ridiculous in comparison)

It's not but I mean dude...then just use a synth where it has the voices synced for you already. got linx to the song?

http://chillbrave.bandcamp.com/