So, I finally managed to finish something and have posted it here:

http://chipmusic.org/megamantra/music/v-for-voxel

I'm a complete and utter noob - I'm new to tracking, I'm new to chiptunes, I'm generally new to making music.  What I've made here (which is rather short, I admit) sounds pretty decent to my ears, but I have no idea how they're going to sound to a random stranger who's hearing it for the first time, so please; tear this thing apart under the condition that you tell me how to build it back up again.

I'm working with Famitracker, so I might as well throw the .ftm at you as well:

http://www.mediafire.com/?n8y3mgk4h0xnd7e

As I said, criticism, whether it is specific to the song or about using Famitracker/tracking in general, is totally welcome.

California

This is actually really good for a first song. You say you're "generally new" to making music. How much musical experience do you have? There could be some more harmony underneath the melody (maybe have the second pulse channel do a harmony line instead of doing an octave unison on the first), and there's some questionable bass notes, but overall it's a lot better than most first songs I've heard.

VCMG wrote:

This is actually really good for a first song. You say you're "generally new" to making music. How much musical experience do you have?

Thanks!  I used to play the piano a few years ago (it never really amounted to much - if you sat me down in front of one I couldn't do anything nowadays) and I've bounced between a few trackers for the past month or so, finally settled on a mix of LSDJ and Famitracker. 

VCMG wrote:

There could be some more harmony underneath the melody (maybe have the second pulse channel do a harmony line instead of doing an octave unison on the first), and there's some questionable bass notes, but overall it's a lot better than most first songs I've heard.

Indeed.  I wrote the melody first on this one - my brain can wrap itself much better around these sorts of things when I write the underlying elements (harmony, beat, bassline, etc.) first, and work a melody around those instead.  In any case, I think you're definitely correct.

nice man, i really like that pause that comes near the start, it breaks well. im looking for bad things but i just cant find much, i mean all you can really do is add stuff, little sounds here and there to accent the overall sound, but that is just what i personally would do.

good stuff geeza smile

chiptrolley wrote:

nice man, i really like that pause that comes near the start, it breaks well. im looking for bad things but i just cant find much, i mean all you can really do is add stuff, little sounds here and there to accent the overall sound, but that is just what i personally would do.

good stuff geeza smile

Thanks, I appreciate it.  Looking at the .ftm file, it is significantly more bare than most of the others I've seen...might have to go back to it one day smile