that is kind of the modern amiga situation already with everyone having their own customs, part of the reason why it's far more feasible to use WinUAE than have several machines to cover the software.

nashville,tn
ant1 wrote:

well my laptop is finally dying and it got me round to thinking, will we still be able to use old hardware in 10, 20 years time. i have computers from 1983, 1984 in here that are still working fine and yet this computer from 2008 is dying. i don't think things are really built to last any more

what will die first, your DS or or your DMG?

so this is also a thread in praise of the good engineering and design of the people who made all the old stuff, that it still works now

and will there be anything appealig about the current generation of consoles in the future anyway? probably not to chiptuners,, the sound hardware is too HD already, but for general retro feel might still appeal to some people

what do you think? will you be using your 2010s hardware in 2020/2030? will you still be using your 1980s hardware in 2020/2030?

i wondered the same thing recently to much chastisement.... its a legitmate question-its a hardware software distinction-is the chipmusic the program or the platform? or is it both? i dont know

Just think for a second about the everdrive 64. totally modern flashcart, that is able to hold the entire library of games on a single SD card. It uses modern technology to get the best out of original hardware. It's main component is the FPGA that it has. almost ever part on a "retro" computer can be replaced except the proprietary stuff. but what is nice is tha modern chips like FPGA's can emulate this old hardware perfectly. aren't there already gameboy cartridge FPGA's... I swear I saw a video on YouTube of a guy that had one running into the cart slot and was running games on it. I don't see a reason why you couldn't replace an entire DMG motherboard with a single FPGA, and likewise get a replacement LCD made. One with a backlight built in, and black instead of blue. I don't think retro hardware will ever wear out, I think the components that can't be replaced straight up will be replaced with emulation. emulation does not feel the same when it's not on hardware (like project 64 for example) but I don't care about the emulation the everdrive64 does of the cart so that I can play all of mh favorite games on my actual n64

New York City
boomlinde wrote:

A lot of new software (and whole OS distributions) take advantage of this to the point that they are useless even on the fastest real Amiga accelerators. Mplayer for 68k Amigas? Exists. Amigas that can run it? None, unless you like slideshows. Retro revisionism!

Yeah I hate this. There's a lot of useless 68k ports. Even those that need a 060 are ridiculous, since the 060 userbase is tiny.

boomlinde wrote:

I've been toying with the thought that at some point, all our knowledge of some old computers will mostly be based on slightly inaccurate emulators, which means that over a long period of time our ideas of what they were might change a lot. Especially machines that haven't been treated as well as the C64 when it comes to emulation. Many emulators already allow you to set up configurations that would have been impossible on the original machines. WinUAE and recent "classic" amiga software development springs to mind. In WinUAE, you can set the CPU emulation (and chipram and the blitter!) up to be as fast as the host computer can muster. A lot of new software (and whole OS distributions) take advantage of this to the point that they are useless even on the fastest real Amiga accelerators. Mplayer for 68k Amigas? Exists. Amigas that can run it? None, unless you like slideshows. Retro revisionism!

This is really interesting to me. Simply stating so is far from a useful contribution but, yeah... retro revisionism. Revisionism is scary. This is reminding me of 1984, the book. Though now my imagination is taking hold of the subject.

Boston, MA
Battle Lava wrote:
boomlinde wrote:

I've been toying with the thought that at some point, all our knowledge of some old computers will mostly be based on slightly inaccurate emulators, which means that over a long period of time our ideas of what they were might change a lot. Especially machines that haven't been treated as well as the C64 when it comes to emulation. Many emulators already allow you to set up configurations that would have been impossible on the original machines. WinUAE and recent "classic" amiga software development springs to mind. In WinUAE, you can set the CPU emulation (and chipram and the blitter!) up to be as fast as the host computer can muster. A lot of new software (and whole OS distributions) take advantage of this to the point that they are useless even on the fastest real Amiga accelerators. Mplayer for 68k Amigas? Exists. Amigas that can run it? None, unless you like slideshows. Retro revisionism!

This is really interesting to me. Simply stating so is far from a useful contribution but, yeah... retro revisionism. Revisionism is scary. This is reminding me of 1984, the book. Though now my imagination is taking hold of the subject.

woah. we are hardcore broaching the topic of subjective reality over time. THIS THREAD GOES HARD OR NOT AT ALL.

montreal, qc

I wrote some stuff late last night that killed this very interesting thread.
Sorry tongue

Last edited by ilkae (May 11, 2012 9:43 pm)

montreal, qc

x2

Last edited by ilkae (May 11, 2012 9:43 pm)

Brazil

When emulation is just like the original, there is no problem at all. But, what matter to us is the sound, and some emulators don't get that right. I wouldn't mind to use a tablet emulating an amiga if that would get the sound perfectly. Or a C64, GB, or whatever. If the sound is right, I see no evil.

amiga sounds pretty spot on in winUAE. reSID-FP is near enough with the 6581, certainly the AR preset has the same response as my old 1983 machine. (it's missing the "sid whine" though some would argue that isn't a bad thing)

Savannah, Georgia

oh shit here we go.

unfortunately, given how most of how the quality of current technology is getting lower and lower, i'd have to agree; unless there are enough spare parts lying around, or if more durable parts cannot be provided to rectify that issue in modern and retro computing and technology in general, retro computing will eventually die, what are we going to do to stop it minus emulators?

Austin, TX

Oh man, I don't want to think about my DMGs dying someday.  All that modding! 

Hopefully the stuff inside that goes bad will be replaceable.  I hope we'll still have something like YouTube around to show each other how to do the fixes too.

stop relying on hardware X and go back to pure wave theory?  lot of potential there.