Robotcity, the year 20XX

Sorry if this topic has been covered before: I could not find it during a first quick scan...

Anyhow, here is my problem. I made this snare in the noise channel. This is the set up:

Note: C3
Env: E1
Length: 1C
Shape: FF

And I set up a table:

0 00 DF 00 00
1 00 CB 00 00
2 00 F5 00 00
3 00 20 00 00
4 00 10 00 00
A 00 00K00 00

Now, even when I only play the snare in a phrase without any other instruments or channels, the snare seems to randomly "skip" now and then. I found out that the noise channel seems to do this more often when you set up simular tables like the one I described above. But why? I don't get it. And is there any way to work around it? It annoys me big_smile

Chicago IL

i think that's just something you have to deal with when using tables on the noise channel. i kept having that problem, so i stopped using them.

Saskrotch wrote:

i think that's just something you have to deal with when using tables on the noise channel. i kept having that problem, so i stopped using them.

Maybe switch sweep from stable to free or vice versa.
Or put the kill command earlier/later?

Switch S CMD function from FREE to Stable in Noise Instrument parameters

What version of LSDJ are you on? Newer versions more efficiently use the Sxx command in tables for noise sweeps instead of the Transpose column. Try giving that a shot

Last edited by an0va (May 12, 2012 8:03 pm)

sweden
an0va wrote:

Switch S CMD function from FREE to Stable in Noise Instrument parameters

What version of LSDJ are you on? Newer versions more efficiently use the Sxx command in tables for noise sweeps instead of the Transpose column. Try giving that a shot

The S-command hasnt changed. But the transpose has. Before they both did the same. Now transpose works relative to the instrument shape, instead of current shape.

I think efficiently would be wrong to say. Its just a different way.  Unless I misunderstood.

lsdj changelog -2010-04-13: v4.0.5  wrote:

noise instrument: add "S CMD" setting. "FREE" keeps classic S command
   behavior. "STABLE" prevents the noise generator from switching between
   7-bit and 15-bit LFSR, as it occasionally mutes the sound. adjust the
   setting to suit your personality.

lsdj changelog -2009-07-26: v3.9.e  wrote:

* make noise table transposes relative to the instrument shape, instead
   of relative to the current shape (as is with S command). (thx nitro2k01)

note: this change breaks backwards compability! to convert your old
   noise table to a new version, do like this...

old table (v3.9.d or earlier):

00 A1 --- ---
    01 84 --- ---
    02 74 --- ---
    03 00 --- ---

change to (v3.9.e and up):

00 00 SA1 ---
    01 00 S84 ---
    02 00 S74 ---
    03 00 --- ---

well EITHER WAY try that

Milwaukee Area, WI

Was having the same problem when I was using 4.0 but I found that changing it from FREE to STABLE solved the problem most of them time. Also, missing a snare Or Hi-Hat adds a more organic sound to it.

BK

I remember reading a thread in 8bc that stated that the noise channel was the lowest priority channel, meaning that if the cpu was overloaded (in this case, too many tables, notes at once, etc) that the noise channel output would be sacrificed so that the others would be able to play properly.
So, if you can, take a look at the instruments you're using and simplify their tables for a start. that noise channel table looks pretty complex if those are all transposes- see if you can get the same sound using 2 or 3 transposes and then see if that improves performance.

buffalo, NY

Don't use the transpose column in the table, it will cause that.  Use S commands only.

Or if your table doesn't need to go that fast anyways, you can use a G command in the table to slow it down. Less stress on cpu.....but yeah S command all the way.

Robotcity, the year 20XX

Thanks guys! S command works like a charm!