washington

I just successfully-ish backlit my first gameboy pocket, and it's got a problem. It lights up and I can hear the sound, but the screen is just black, and the contrast dial does nothing. It's making a weird hum too, like a computer moniter. Sorry for the lack of pictures, I only have a film camera. Since there are a lot of gameboy mod gurus on here, and I'm stupid, I was wondering if anybody knows how to fix this.
Thanks
Dan

Edit: I think I tore the ribbon cable. But I'm not sure.

Last edited by basspuddle (May 17, 2012 2:55 am)

Sweeeeeeden

You have probably managed to make the contacts for the contrast dial come loose. Go over those connections quickly with the soldering iron. Melt the solder on those pins, but don't keep it heated for too long. See if that solves it.

There's also a chance that you've damaged the connection between the PCB and the flex connector that goes up to the LCD panel.

washington

Awesome, I fixed it. The ribbon cable wasn't connected all the way, haha. Thanks for the advice smile

Classic. glad it's working. you'd be suprised how many times I didn't plug the cable in at all and been totally dumbfounded as to why it didn't work.