Chicago

Please don't hold back if its garbage then please let me know, as my musical theory knowledge isn't that developed although I think I have a general understanding.

Well here you go let me know what you think.

http://goingham.bandcamp.com/album/mycelium

Edit: Swapped out download link for bandcamp

Last edited by GoingHam (May 15, 2012 6:16 am)

São Paulo, Brazil

I recommend you put your EP on bandcamp, where people can stream the songs. It's easier and faster to hear and give you the feedback you want.

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
PULSELOOPER wrote:

I recommend you put your EP on bandcamp, where people can stream the songs. It's easier and faster to hear and give you the feedback you want.

I second this, first time I checked the thread I saw the sendspace link and hit back straight

Utah

I was willing to invest 2 minutes and I downloaded it and checked it out. My general impression is that you have a lot of good ideas but that you are rushing from one idea to the next. Everything just feels incomplete. I'd suggest taking some more time with each track, adding, subtracting and refining . No one can really tell you if you're doing it right or wrong, but these are my impressions.

Agreed, put it on bandcamp, it's the standard now.

AndrewKilpatrick wrote:
PULSELOOPER wrote:

I second this, first time I checked the thread I saw the sendspace link and hit back straight

Chicago
The Laohu wrote:

I was willing to invest 2 minutes and I downloaded it and checked it out. My general impression is that you have a lot of good ideas but that you are rushing from one idea to the next. Everything just feels incomplete. I'd suggest taking some more time with each track, adding, subtracting and refining . No one can really tell you if you're doing it right or wrong, but these are my impressions.

Thanks for giving it a shot.

None of the tracks I would consider complete at all. Mostly, I'd hit a bump in the road and just wrap it up so I can attempt something fresher. I'm concerned about hitting wrong notes or timing things that don't makes sense. I've never had a introductory music class, lesson, or played any musical instruments. I'm just kinda winging it.

Sweden

Third song is the best of a bunch, but i don't really care at all for any of them. Instead of ragging on your songs I'll give you some general tips, though. When you listen to music you like, try analyzing it and play along on an instrument. You'll figure things out quickly that way. Then when you finish a track, keep making music. After a few days or weeks worth of other music, go back and listen to it to decide whether it's acually good or not. At the point where your main concern is timing and hitting the right notes, you really need to take time to figure things out.

NC in the US of America

You wouldn't happen to be a Brother Android or 8Bit Betty fan, would you?

to answer your question... I think this is a bit early to be releasing an EP. In that train of thought, it seems like your WHOLE process is rushed. Maybe slow it down a little bit. Try focusing more on creating melodies and harmonies without arp chords. But, then again, that method might not be for you, so take it with a grain of salt.

I actually liked the 4th track the best. The rhythm style suited the style, and it was pretty interesting to listen to, and the only track with an interesting melody that took some time to breathe.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 15, 2012 7:52 am)

Antwerp, Belgium

Really liked the 4th track, but i'd call it uncompromising music, it's a bit 'hard' to listen to if you know what I mean.

Czech Republic

There is some potential, but you have to wait long time to finish your songs (my opinion). listen them again and again. after few days. after month, months, maybee years. change them. Do you still like it? Does it sound good enough to you? One day it reaches the point that it has a start, the end ant the middle and there's nothing to change, nothing to add or remove. That's what I'm doing.

Holland
ryba wrote:

There is some potential, but you have to wait long time to finish your songs (my opinion). listen them again and again. after few days. after month, months, maybee years. change them. Do you still like it? Does it sound good enough to you? One day it reaches the point that it has a start, the end ant the middle and there's nothing to change, nothing to add or remove. That's what I'm doing.

There is always stuff to add or remove.

And I would say to Goingham, read something about arranging songs and giving them structure.

Chicago

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm glad that there was at least one track that someone enjoyed a bit.

It was entirely too soon for an EP.

Seriously though, I gotta give you all mad props the songs uploaded here really raise the bar.

Though I agree with many of the sentiments posted in this thread, there's something I genuinely, really enjoy about this release.

In chipmusic, we tend to have a philosophy of "more is more." Huge kicks, wav bass going through endless wavetables, arpeggios that wash over everything. There's a gravitation and fetish fo making things "huge." I must admit, it's refreshing to see releases like this to really see where we've all come from and at the same time, is sounding huge really "better?"

There is a lot of potential in this project. You already have the foundations of healthy repetition and a building melodic sensibility. The first two tracks were easily my favorites because they are perfect examples of this.

Though they have no real easy answer and are only my one single person's opinion only, here are some things to consider. I by no means am an authority on any single thing relating to this music, but at the very least these concepts have helped myself in some way:

• Try giving the listener a reason why they just heard a phrase. Consider each new part an unanswered question that becomes answered with a subsequent part of the song. Traditionally this is achieved in the verse-chorus-verse-chorus method, but you have every right to be as creative as you want. A "part" doesn't necessarily mean a song section, it can even be a snippet of an instrument's pattern (a "motif")

• Consider a release as more than just a collection of new songs. Having some sort of underlying meaning behind it can make the difference between a mixtape and a refined EP, for example. This doesn't mean having all the songs in the same key/style/tempo/etc., but the release could benefit from telling a story from start to finish. This point like the others is completely subjective though, and I guess I'm just old school in that I like listening to releases straight through-especially EPs because of their length.

• Try embellishing your lead lines with some dramatic effect. At the very least, a pitch bend and a little vibrato can go a long way in taking a stagnant melody into a soaring line.

I look forward to see what you'll release next-keep it up!!!

Last edited by an0va (May 18, 2012 3:45 am)

Also, I'm definitely into the cover art as well

Germany/Florida

I see some really great potential, the first track has to be the best in my opinion. Just remember, there are no boundaries when creating something that YOU feel comfortable with.