BK

http://store.go4retro.com/products/uIEC_SD.html

Just curious if anyone has experience with this. It's significantly cheaper than the 1541 Ultimate, but I'm wondering if with the low price comes a decrease in speed/reliability or anything like that.  I'm intending to use this for running trackers like SDI, JCH, etc.

Thanks guys!

Kris

If you can provide me with some D64 images of the apps, I can test them with a unit...

Jim Brain
RETRO Innovations

Sweden

The main difference between a device like this and the 1541U is that this acts like a generic IEC device while the 1541U is a complete emulation of a 1541 floppy drive. Practically, this means that a lot of software that expects to run with a floppy drive won't work with the uIEC, especially bigger demos and games. In my experience, a lot of productivity software like trackers or graphics editors will work just fine, though, and so will a lot of smaller demos and games.

Last edited by boomlinde (May 2, 2012 9:13 am)

New York City

Worth to say that some times the software runs but it can't load or save data from an SD card, so you gotta check.
A good way I'd say of checking is trying the software in VICE and turning off TRUE DRIVE EMULATION. This should render results similar to having a SD2IEC or similar device.

Last edited by akira^8GB (May 2, 2012 12:29 pm)

Psydney, Australia

Kris K, anything to report? Did you get it, test it?

BK

Nothing to report yet- I haven't had the time to really do more research on the topic.  Sorry!

Milwaukee, WI

I've got three of these (two for c64/one for vic-20) and they are great. Some software takes advantage of the SD/UIEC option, so that's a plus.

Also, consider purchasing the JiffyDOS kernal as well. This will save you many, many headaches.

Last edited by TSC (May 18, 2012 3:34 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

Photos:

Nevermind the dust!

BK

TSC what have you been running on the devices? Trackers I assume?

Milwaukee, WI

Yes, and small demos. I'll shoot a video tonight of the c64 running JCH.

I have experienced a few larger demos not running, but I don't remember these running with a stock 1541 anyway. Most of everything I've personally tried to run has worked.

TSC wrote:

Yes, and small demos. I'll shoot a video tonight of the c64 running JCH.

I have experienced a few larger demos not running, but I don't remember these running with a stock 1541 anyway. Most of everything I've personally tried to run has worked.

were they PAL demos by any chance?  not many of those will run on NTSC especially ones with loaders.