Sweeeeeeden

Improvements in debugger functionality, accuracy, performance, sound quality and link port emulation support.

BGB 1.4 download
my blog post

Stop using VBA and KiGB and switch to BGB.

Awesome!  Thanks.

Philadelphia, PA

Hrm...  BGB doesn't do SGB music yet.  For an example load the Game Boy game Animaniacs.  It should also be using the SPC700 for music.

Unsubscribe

I know you arent interested in link port, but a long time ago I asked the dev to explain how sync works over tcpip, in case someone wanted to hack some midi sync into BGB using maxmsp network objects or something, so Ill copy pastah this for the web.

be warned that GB link in BGB is messy, nothing is guaranteed, YMMV.

4 byte commands are sent over tcp connection, which can either do game link or remote controller.
TCP-correctly, you can send bigger TCP packets with multiple 4-byte commands if desired.

BGB does a "link frame" 1024 times per second (the time needed to send 8 bits in slow link mode).
it then sends data if the GB code was sending as master, and it replies if it received something and is slave.

a real GB can either be put in master mode or slave mode by the GB code.

offset    size    desc

0    1    b1 (command number)
1    1    b2
2    1    b3
3    1    b4

command number:

value    name            desc

1    linkcmd_version       
    queries link version of remote side. this only changes if the link compatibility is changed.
    currently: b2=0, b3=85, b4=1

101    linkcmd_joypad
    remote control joypad. the receiving side executes or ignores this based on setting.
    bits of b2:
    bits 0-3 (low 4 bits) are the button number
    bits 4 is on/off state
    bits 5-7 must be 0.

104    linkcmd_sync1
    send link byte as master
    b2 = SB register
    b3 = SC register
    b4 = low 8 bits of link frame counter

105    linkcmd_sync2
    send link byte as slave (in response to master).

107    linkcmd_linkspeed
    b2 = speed shift value. sets link frame to happen 2^(b2) times per second, default is 10 (1024 Hz)

Madison, Alabama

Great news!  BGB is far and away the superior emulator.  The sound really is quite accurate.

Long Beach, CA

Bravo! Super accurate! Thanks!

NC in the US of America

Hm. I suppose this is as good a thread as any for my question:

I've heard from a few sources that there's no clicking when switching L/R channels in emulators. There's clicking in my BGB. I don't know if I changed some settings or what, but, I'd like to know how to get rid of it. I've been okay with it for awhile, but it's starting to get in the way when I want to use rapid pans at low volumes.

uk

when i try to record a wav from my lsdj song its allway glitchy like itll play ok for a while then cut out a tiny piece of audio wich is almost unoticeable REALLY ANNOYING ME what can i do about it im running a quadcore processor with 2 gb ram

Brazil
SketchMan3 wrote:

I've heard from a few sources that there's no clicking when switching L/R channels in emulators. There's clicking in my BGB. I don't know if I changed some settings or what, but, I'd like to know how to get rid of it. I've been okay with it for awhile, but it's starting to get in the way when I want to use rapid pans at low volumes.

That's weird, I remember using bgb and never got that when panning fast.
Maybe I wasn't panning that fast, though.

matt's mind
herr_prof wrote:

I know you arent interested in link port, but a long time ago I asked the dev to explain how sync works over tcpip, in case someone wanted to hack some midi sync into BGB using maxmsp network objects or something, so Ill copy pastah this for the web.

be warned that GB link in BGB is messy, nothing is guaranteed, YMMV.

4 byte commands are sent over tcp connection, which can either do game link or remote controller.
TCP-correctly, you can send bigger TCP packets with multiple 4-byte commands if desired.

BGB does a "link frame" 1024 times per second (the time needed to send 8 bits in slow link mode).
it then sends data if the GB code was sending as master, and it replies if it received something and is slave.

a real GB can either be put in master mode or slave mode by the GB code.

offset    size    desc

0    1    b1 (command number)
1    1    b2
2    1    b3
3    1    b4

command number:

value    name            desc

1    linkcmd_version       
    queries link version of remote side. this only changes if the link compatibility is changed.
    currently: b2=0, b3=85, b4=1

101    linkcmd_joypad
    remote control joypad. the receiving side executes or ignores this based on setting.
    bits of b2:
    bits 0-3 (low 4 bits) are the button number
    bits 4 is on/off state
    bits 5-7 must be 0.

104    linkcmd_sync1
    send link byte as master
    b2 = SB register
    b3 = SC register
    b4 = low 8 bits of link frame counter

105    linkcmd_sync2
    send link byte as slave (in response to master).

107    linkcmd_linkspeed
    b2 = speed shift value. sets link frame to happen 2^(b2) times per second, default is 10 (1024 Hz)

AWESOME!

what a good thread.

edit -- just because i've been googling (not sure if relevant yet):
http://cycling74.com/toolbox/tcpclient/
http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/tuto … ter03.html
http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/tutorial … ter52.html

NC in the US of America
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

That's weird, I remember using bgb and never got that when panning fast.
Maybe I wasn't panning that fast, though.

It happens even if the panning is slow.

Last edited by Zomvor (Apr 2, 2016 2:15 pm)

Sweeeeeeden
kimbersprophet wrote:

when i try to record a wav from my lsdj song its allway glitchy like itll play ok for a while then cut out a tiny piece of audio wich is almost unoticeable REALLY ANNOYING ME what can i do about it im running a quadcore processor with 2 gb ram

This may happen in the sound that goes to your soundcard during recording, but the recorded file should be fine. Can you confirm?

Sweeeeeeden
SketchMan3 wrote:

BGB tries to emulate a typical Gameboy, including this type of effect. If you're getting these clicks in BGB, but not on real hardware, you should report it as a bug.

Unsubscribe
kitsch wrote:

what a good thread.

edit -- just because i've been googling (not sure if relevant yet):
http://cycling74.com/toolbox/tcpclient/
http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/tuto … ter03.html
http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/tutorial … ter52.html

For a moment I had a fakebit setup using virtual audio cable to put piggy and bgboy through daw effects in energyxt, but the atom netbook wasn't up to snuff. Now you can probably use jack for windows and it should probably work better.

NC in the US of America
nitro2k01 wrote:
kimbersprophet wrote:

This may happen in the sound that goes to your soundcard during recording, but the recorded file should be fine. Can you confirm?

I've had problems with skipping too, and it does show up in the recording. I assumed it was because I was using too much tables and effects, causing the system to clog up and stutter.

BGB tries to emulate a typical Gameboy, including this type of effect. If you're getting these clicks in BGB, but not on real hardware, you should report it as a bug.

Well, the clicks are supposed to happen with a real DMG, but not with the CGB, right? My BGB is in CGB mode, so I guess I should report it as a bug. I don't have any real hardware to compare it to, unfortunately.