Hey guys, I just signed up here and want to share some of my works with this community. I basically mix chiptune melodies with progressive metal, under my studio project Sky Sanctuary. I just released a concept album "Insert Coin(s)" not that long ago - it was created in the veign of a videogame; 6 zones and a final boss fight. Here's the free album stream: http://skysanctuary.bandcamp.com/

It will be nice to get a take on it from people that are strictly in with the 8-bit genre, so I decided to post it up here. Feedback welcome smile

Last edited by Joey (May 25, 2012 3:39 pm)

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

Djent much? wink
I only skipped through it (I'll give it a full look if I get the chance, though no offence, £5 is pretty steep asking price!) but it was pretty good, only thing is, imo the bits where it was focused on the chip synths (which were awful synths, no offence) actually took something from it, I'd have preferred it just to be straight up prog metal/djent/whatever,  and the fact you didn't notice this made the presence of "8-bit" seem more gimmicky than a positive element.
Though as I said earlier, it was only a preliminary listen and your guitar playing is outstanding, if you have anything strictly prog metal I'd like to hear that!

Rochester, NY

Dude SKY SANCTUARY!

Good release, glad you've joined this community thing

Thanks ChipsChallenge, glad to be here. wink

NC in the US of America

IMO, the synths sound too hi-fi. Not 8-bit.

The tunes are pretty cool, though. I could imagine them in a game like "Atomic Runner" or a darker-edgier Ape Escape.

KC

only listened to first song, didn't need to go any further.

Kicks ass, I would listen to that shit

Rhode Island

Just listened to the whole album and I'll likely snag it off iTunes. I would agree that the synths aren't completely 8-bit but the idea of the album is video game based so it's okay in my book. I like how the synths are hifi as they stand out better against the low tone of the guitar but they have too much reverb. I wasn't a big fan at first because I though the first song sounded a little muddy but the tone improves throughout the album. You have some killer grooves. I'll definitely be listening again

Last edited by 2PLAYER (May 25, 2012 6:30 pm)

hole

man have you listened to Dr. Zilog?
Battle Beneath is a good album.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I bet you listen to Meshuggah and Scar Symmetry.

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (May 25, 2012 7:23 pm)

I should probably mention that a lot of the synths are a mix between 16-bit and 8-bit emulators layered over the top of eachother. For a lot of my works, rather than purposely trying to make it sound "chiptune," I focus more on the scales and progressions within the song. The sounds usually come after.

The synths definitely needed some tweaking to give more of a "hi-fi" sound, because it's constantly battling against the raw tones of the guitars and drums.

With that said, I do appreciate your opinions. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Joey (May 25, 2012 7:34 pm)

And 8-Bit Rex, no I don't. I don't listen to djent music at all really; I just create it. I'd rather just stick on the Sonic soundtrack and chill out to that.

Last edited by Joey (May 25, 2012 10:16 pm)

Rochester, NY

Scar Symmetry was cool until they dropped their last singer

Holographic Universe was awesome

Chicago, IL

It sound awesome! you need to mix the  guitars a little better. They are kind pushed way back. I can tell you have a great tone but I wanna HEAR EM MORE!

The production as a whole on the album came out very hollow-sounding, due to a number of reasons - one being that the mastering process was rather rushed. Here's a clip of the newest track I'm working on (which, by the way, I will be sharing with you guys once I release it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u7SDW4ML5c

your music is great

New Orleans, Louisiana

Ahhh dude, I've always loved your stuff. I remember I heard "For all Intents & Purposes" and my jaw dropped.