Tokyo, Japan

I managed to compile my own rom for scrollnes which is a pretty big deal for me!

I do have a quick question though, some of no carriers demo videos show the scrolling text oscillating up and down but my text only scrolls left to right. Can someone fill me in on how to make the text oscillate?

Boston, MA

do you know ASM or are you looking for something built into the program. I havn't used scrollnes so i dunno it specifically but moving something against a sine table in asm isn't too hard

Boston, MA

figure it out or no?

Philadelphia, PA

Lazerbeat:  Demoscene coders use sinewave tables to make text scroll up and down.  You would have to patch a bit of code in ScrollNES for it to behave that way.  Start off by finding a program to generate an 8-bit sine(wave) look-up table; or the string of numbers themselves.  Afterward reference the PPU function and patch the routine with the sinewave vertical tile plotting behavior.  (Think about the behavior of a sine wave and how it would behave if controlling scrolling text. wink )  Take a minute to browse over the "Registers" and "Nametables" sections of the PPU portion of NESdev Wiki.

Russia, Moscow

The problem is that generally you can't make a sinewave horizontal scroller on NES, i.e. no easy way to make a scroller where every character has different Y coord. You can easily make a sinewave scroller where the whole line of text jumps up and down, all characters at once.

Last edited by Shiru (May 26, 2012 1:25 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

Sorry, I had a busy week and let this one slip, I was mainly compiling NoCarriers scrollnes code in a monkey see monkey do fashion. I dont know ASM at all so I think I will have to do a bit more reading!

GNV / FL / USA

Oh, I can dig up the code I used for that and edit it for you some time. Then post an update. Remind me soon smile