Haruomi Hosono did,yes

it's off an album of Namco covers.

Milwaukee, WI

We wrote about this a while back:

http://www.discogs.com/Heaven-17-Make-M … se/1815350

1986? C64 direct.

Los Angeles
Shiru wrote:

This one was a computer music album, predecessor of chiptune, but technically not a chiptune yet, because no dedicated sound chips were used (as far as I know from description of the devices). Early sound chips appeared circa 1978, so I think the first legitimate chiptune album could not be earlier or too near to the date.

It's possible that there were no dedicated sound chips...so this is tube music? lol

Well I guess this thread is about "Computer" Music more than "Chip"...maybe I can change the title...

Last edited by 8bitweapon (May 29, 2012 5:44 pm)

Bronx, NY

Iron Curtain's mom is on this album.

Don't ask me how I know...

DaPantz wrote:

Iron Curtain's mom is on this album.

Don't ask me how I know...

How do you know?

Russia, Moscow

Before specialized sound chips were created, computer music mostly used DACs, starting from one or few 1-bit DACs (check my article on this). It is ~1959.

SPOOT

TSSBAY01

id say doris norton - nortoncomputerforpeace or 'personal computer', 83 and 84 respectively. she was sponsored by both roland and apple.

if you're talking a straight up computer. if you're not and talkin straight up computer in terms of just a machine that cant produce some artful stuff by default, then probably these dudes:

check it out, they're straight up cutting chips outta paper and shit.

Easton, PA, USA

Slightly off topic...What about the RCA Mark II Sound Synthesizer? Born in the late 50's from vaccum tubes, It is the great ancestor of all synths, trackers, and computer music. Not only did it use punch cards, but had to write it's sounds on shellac records, just to hear it!