Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the chiptune scene. I'm perhaps more interested in the modding itself, I've bought a couple of DMGs (I dont want to mod my first DMG, too sentimental big_smile ) and I've been adding LEDs, backlights and prosound to them. Its been pretty fun.

Anyway, I have a question about USB carts. I've noticed that most of the carts say that save files save to SRAM and only one save can be stored at a time.

I'm unsure as to what this means exactly. If I was to put multiple games, mods, programs etc on the cart, does that mean that only one of them can have save data?

Thanks for any help smile

Yep only one can save, well all can save but it will overwrite the other saves data

Yes, you are correct. Capacity is limited to one save file. However, you can use games that do not save and have them on the same cart.

EDIT: ninja'd

Last edited by thebitman (May 24, 2012 12:21 am)

You gotta stick classics like tetris, rc pro am, r-type, kirbys dream land...

Hmmm interesting, but disheartening sad.

For games like Teris that save high scores, will that also overwrite the save?

Tetris does not save.

There's room for 2 games, but only room for 1 save file.

Medina, Ohio

If you would like a list of the games on my cart, i can tell you when i get home from school. There is a decent amount of good games out there that do not use the SRAM

Chicago IL
Jotie wrote:

There's room for 2 games, but only room for 1 save file.

no, there's room for 2 pages of games. each page can hold 32 mb worth.

I suppose my next question is why. Surely its possible to replace the battery sram with something more modern?

Medina, Ohio

Here's the games on my cart:

Flipbull
Bubble Ghost
Super Mario Land
Megalit
Castlevania Adventures
Amazing Tater
Solomon's Club
Knight Quest
Double Dragon
Contra Alien Wars
Castlevania 2
Caslte Quest
Bust a move 2
Battle Toads
Adventure Island
Megaman 3
Megaman 2
Marble Madness
Gradius
Adventure Island 2
Killer Instinct 95

and of course LSDJ, which is the only one i believe that uses the SRAM smile

EDIT: Download At your own risk, i recommend purchasing smile

Last edited by dsv101 (May 24, 2012 10:10 pm)

Woah

Only use lsdj, so never took notice.

More modern is the drag n derp cart, which has only one ...
I'm going to shut up, I'm going to be wrong again.

Chicago IL

i usually have the same version of LSDJ on both pages, just because i've heard horror stories about the USB cart getting stuck on page 2. Better safe than sorry, especially if you're going to play a show. It's only gotten stuck for me once or twice, and i just re-transfered the roms onto it, and it worked fine. but you never know!

Gosford, Australia
CartooN wrote:

I suppose my next question is why. Surely its possible to replace the battery sram with something more modern?

basically what abrasive has done with drag and derp, but the cost will be relatively high. ems carts will do just what you need them to in the meantime.

Argentina

I have in the first page LSDJ, and in the second my games:
Castlevania Adventure
Dr. Mario
Kid Dracula
Kirby's Dream Land
Mega Man (I to V)
Mortal Kombat II
Operation C
Parodius <- my favorite!
R-Type
Super Mario Land
Tetris
Yoshi's Cookie

I don't know about the rest of you, but Morugama (Mole Mania) is a fantastic game that does not use SRAM and is worth a look.