rochester, ny

i discovered danimal cannon through the top ten!

buffalo, NY

Haha no you didn't I came and said hello to you at the first Rochester chip show.  I think.

Brunswick, GA USA
Fearofdark wrote:

A lot of the Famicompo guys appeared on there as well.. then I found out they were all on Ubiktune tongue

I was considering commenting that Fear of Dark was "discovered" through Famicompo (to me.)

Since this is going to bump the thread again I'm going to continue to insist that inviting people to cm.org will make more difference than anything else- you don't need approval to improve or adjust the sound of your own music.

Melbourne, Australia

I think most people who complain about the charts are just butthurt because they never made it. Sure, lots of "generic" music may have made it that didn't suit your tastes, but they were all popular tracks for one reason or another. To say that unce is the only thing that graced the charts is untrue, and to complain that good music never made it is frankly bullshit. Sure, maybe your favourite artists weren't lucky enough to be recognised (and yes, luck has a lot to do with getting on the front page), but still, cTrix, Disasterpeace, Shnabubula, 10k, Electric Children, Kulor, FearofDark, Sievert, Pongball, fuck HEAPS of EXTREMELY TALENTED musicians made it to the charts. The only "uncey" artists on there were like, Early Smiletron, Fighter X and Electric Children, and their music is badass.

I'm always hesitant to comment on my position on the charts because i made it a couple of times too... and no, I don't think I "deserved" it. But seriously, to equate the community favourited music as bland hipster shit is downright fucking retarded and the fact that other talented musicians didn't make it means shit all. The fact is- there was a LOT of shit to wade through on the front page of 8bc, so to become popular a mix of luck and skill is required. Luck so that people listen to you, and skill so they actually enjoy your music.

Last edited by Derris-Kharlan (Jun 5, 2012 11:56 pm)

Unsubscribe

I calling people who dont like charts butthurt is pretty condescending. I don't a have problem per se with the content that is popular, I just really dislike the atmosphere that surrounds the whole operation.

Lexington, KY

All this talk about things that tear us apart is tearing us apart!

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
herr_prof wrote:

I calling people who dont like charts butthurt is pretty condescending. I don't a have problem per se with the content that is popular, I just really dislike the atmosphere that surrounds the whole operation.

And it's not like there ISN'T a place for people who DO want a chart already set up anyway (as many keep saying) so I find this entire thing slightly moot and grinding, and it's just hurting me on my heart guys, supersrz

Melbourne, Australia
herr_prof wrote:

Yeah you're absolutely right, that was a bad way to put it. The people who have a problem with the -content- on the charts are the ones I was referring too (but didn't properly state0.

The charts as a system did have a somewhat negative impact. Trolls like MoxoM creating billions of accounts and eliciting votes from friends etc.

Last edited by Derris-Kharlan (Jun 6, 2012 12:22 am)

vancouver, canada

again, i just wanted to reiterate my recommendations idea in terms of how i'd like to see it implemented, just in case it got twisted through the last few pages into something that it wasn't:

1.  if you're listening to a track on cm.org, there's a button you can click to recommend this track.
2.  if you hover over a username anywhere on cm.org, you can see a list of 3 tracks that the user has recommended.
3.  as you recommend a track, the one that was least recently recommended gets bumped off the list if the list is full.
4.  maybe, if you view a track, you can see who is currently recommending it.

that's it.  no charts, likes or other statistics.  just wanted to see if the mods thought this is a feasible thing to implement on a technical level, and on a... moral... level?  I'm legitimately curious as to how the above might be abused or twisted into something unpleasant for the community.

for the record:
- i don't really like charts either.  styles and tastes are so varied that quantifying songs' worth doesn't make a lot of sense.
- i think deserving artists SHOULD be recognized.  but it doesn't need to be reduced to a governing body giving you a list of what you "should" listen to you (see my point about charts).
- i think users/listeners should be proactive in finding music and sharing it with others.  whether it's through making their own recommendations, or by siphoning off the recommendations of users they trust, who cares?
- i think whatever mechanism which helps people find new, good music should be self-regulating and apolitical.

Last edited by bryface (Jun 6, 2012 12:57 am)

Tokyo, Japan

Actually, I just had a though, while there is totally merit in the "net labels are curators" idea. I can't think of any netlabels / labels (other than a couple of double Aside places like metrodub and soundslegit) which cater to singles. That is one thing which the 8bc chart had over net labels.

Madison, Alabama
Lazerbeat wrote:

Actually, I just had a though, while there is totally merit in the "net labels are curators" idea. I can't think of any netlabels / labels (other than a couple of double Aside places like metrodub and soundslegit) which cater to singles. That is one thing which the 8bc chart had over net labels.

I just wanted to say how important this is.  There are a lot of cool artists that really mostly did singles, and would chart from time to time.  I'm thinking of people like Jredd or SkipsandwichDX or Doomsberry (or Fearofdark--is there an FOD album???), who all make awesome music but who don't seem to be into albums.

I know I personally am keeping up with a lot of those guys (but probably not all of the ones I liked, admittedly), but I do wonder if the lack of a centralized community with a singles-based chart system makes it harder to find people like that.

Maybe we need an awesome, super-legit single-based netlabel...

Tokyo, Japan
roboctopus wrote:

There are a lot of cool artists that really mostly did singles, and would chart from time to time. .

Yeah, I would put Derris-Kharlan, Chibitech, DJcats and various oxygenstar projects on that list too.

Unsubscribe
Derris-Kharlan wrote:

Trolls like MoxoM creating billions of accounts and eliciting votes from friends etc.

Yea totally. There should be a whole series of AntiMoxom Measures in place first.

Or maybe instead of a netlabel, more of a beatport.com type thing. I think that the chipmusic world really needs something organized like that, where there's no forums or anything, just pure music. Labels post releases there, and there could be a singles section. It'd need to be designed pretty to keep attention, and have a player like weeklybeats, but seriously. That would be so awesome.

And the only kind of chart style thing that I think should exist would be most unique downloads (unique as in, same IP downloading it or same account or whatever)

Lexington, KY
Frostbyte wrote:

Or maybe instead of a netlabel, more of a beatport.com type thing.

There we go.
Again, leave it out of the cm.org family, too. That way it doesn't spread its nonsense here.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

Doesn't this thread is a bit silly?

If you wanna hear new artists (which I think is the argument that was actually presented as the need for some kind of popularity-based system) listen to the music section. Just do it. You shouldn't need someone to tell you what is good.

The 8bc likes system was a joke - if a "name" artist in the community liked something dozens of people followed. There were multiple account problems and spamming and so on. We were all part of that mess. Lots of us opted out and came here. It was mostly people moaning that people wouldn't like their tunes.

If you need a curated feed, go to http://micromusic.net/ - they have the QFS and let's face it, it works. But also remember it sucks to not get your music on a site because someone on the other side of the internet doesn't like it.

If you want 8bc as it was, go to http://ucollective.org/ - it looks like the same system is set up. Live it love it?