10k wrote:

Doesn't this thread is a bit silly?

If you wanna hear new artists (which I think is the argument that was actually presented as the need for some kind of popularity-based system) listen to the music section. Just do it. You shouldn't need someone to tell you what is good.

No I should not, and I won't even if the said feature was implemented. Just because it's first doesn't mean I will like it, just saying I more likely would like it as opposed to the random songs on the front page.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

What's random about them being the latest songs uploaded?

The last thing I want here is a flame war. But that is not random. It is very specific.

If you listen to some of them, you might find something new that you'll like.

AND NOW, I take leave to work my day job and bow out of this discussion forever.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

Wait! Before I get back to work I should mention that the way I find music on this site is clicking the names of people who say interesting things in their posts in this forum.

This is the first time I've listened to your music in a long while - this new shit of yours is really good Jae Mae.

/me gracefully retires.

hardcore, Australia

Replace "talk to you" with "listen to your music".

You could always, you know, talk to people about what you are listening to. Most of the music I listen to these days comes from branching off what other artists I'm into are listening to, or what friends recommend.
The idea of using a popularity based system to discover new artists doesn't work unless someone is there discovering these artists that aren't yet popular.
If everyone watches the top 10 it just stays stagnant because no one can enter that group.

The Bronx

No.

Melbourne, Australia

Rochester, NY

I'm always tweeting/talking about music I'm interested in.

No one listens.  That's not my problem, and it's your choice if you're going to listen to me or not.

I wouldn't want to listen to me, my tastes are shit.  Consider the following:

I wrote a huge facebook note back in fucking 2009 about a little band called "fun." and tagged pretty much everyone I thought would dig their music (ie. everyone I associated with at the time).  Very few people gave a shit (of course, now fun. is dropping mediocre music while simultaneously going mainstream...)

My point: no one likes music, if people liked music they'd seek it out; of the few people that do seek it out, an even fewer amount talk about it.

How many facebook posts/tweets/tumbls/whatever have been someone posting a song, and you blow it off because "my taste is better than theirs is?"  How many times does this happen in real life?  How many times have you legitimately been interested in a friend's recommendation, only to forget about it later?  It just wasn't important.  In this way, you've missed out on the possibility you'd find new music.

AND THEN it's only a possibility.  Granted, it only takes a few minutes to figure out if you can enjoy an artist's music, but still.  The minutes you take figuring out whether you like something or not add up.  People don't like wasting time.

So.  Finding new music.  It's a problem with you.  I can spoonfeed you music I like, I can spoonfeed you music I think you'll like, and it won't do shit.

In the end if you want "new" music that's also "good" you're going to have to wade through a bunch of shit yourself because WASSGUD is subjective.  Adding a "top 10 my first lsdj" section will not change this.

CM.O will stay exactly the way it is, because this thread is bullshit.  Adding a recommendation list?  Same problem.  No one will use it.  If someone uses it, even less people will actually look at a user's recommendations.

This is not an attack on anyone; I'm generalizing.  I'm sure everyone in this thread is a unique and special snowflake that always takes the time to search for rad new music.

god did this post have a point or did I just want to ramble about how mediocre fun.'s second album is while simultaneously going hipster because they're getting popular man the world will never know

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

ChipsChallengeBand: +1

Brunswick, GA USA
ChipsChallengeBand wrote:

god did this post have a point or did I just want to ramble about how mediocre fun.'s second album is while simultaneously going hipster because they're getting popular man the world will never know

Let's set the world on fire because we can burn brighter than the sun... or something.
I    /vi    /IV    /V    /... ad nauseum

Rochester, NY
chunter wrote:

Let's set the world on fire because we can burn brighter than the sun... or something.
I    /vi    /IV    /V    /... ad nauseum

I swear their first album was amazing.  The beginning of that song is good.

Then the chorus hits and it all goes to shit, so disappointing

Brunswick, GA USA

These things happen, it's taste, just like you said. As I write this my own tastes are shifting, it happens to everyone.

BOSTON

I'm always tweeting/talking about music I'm interested in.

No one listens.  That's not my problem, and it's your choice if you're going to listen to me or not.

I wouldn't want to listen to me, my tastes are shit.  Consider the following:

I wrote a huge facebook note back in fucking 2009 about a little band called "fun." and tagged pretty much everyone I thought would dig their music (ie. everyone I associated with at the time).  Very few people gave a shit (of course, now fun. is dropping mediocre music while simultaneously going mainstream...)

My point: no one likes music, if people liked music they'd seek it out; of the few people that do seek it out, an even fewer amount talk about it.

How many facebook posts/tweets/tumbls/whatever have been someone posting a song, and you blow it off because "my taste is better than theirs is?"  How many times does this happen in real life?  How many times have you legitimately been interested in a friend's recommendation, only to forget about it later?  It just wasn't important.  In this way, you've missed out on the possibility you'd find new music.

AND THEN it's only a possibility.  Granted, it only takes a few minutes to figure out if you can enjoy an artist's music, but still.  The minutes you take figuring out whether you like something or not add up.  People don't like wasting time.

So.  Finding new music.  It's a problem with you.  I can spoonfeed you music I like, I can spoonfeed you music I think you'll like, and it won't do shit.

In the end if you want "new" music that's also "good" you're going to have to wade through a bunch of shit yourself because WASSGUD is subjective.  Adding a "top 10 my first lsdj" section will not change this.

CM.O will stay exactly the way it is, because this thread is bullshit.  Adding a recommendation list?  Same problem.  No one will use it.  If someone uses it, even less people will actually look at a user's recommendations.

This is not an attack on anyone; I'm generalizing.  I'm sure everyone in this thread is a unique and special snowflake that always takes the time to search for rad new music.

Godzilladelph

holyfuck what the fuck is going on OH GOD THERE'S FIRE EVERYWHE

England

ant1 should upload more music here.

i'd like that.

some other good artists as well maybe.

mmm anyway, did no one notice that you can arrange the music on here by rating, replies and views?

popularity contest.

Last edited by Jellica (Jun 6, 2012 12:17 pm)

Unsubscribe

I judge people solely by their avatars sometimes.

Jellica wrote:

ant1 should upload more music here.

i'd like that.

some other good artists as well maybe.

mmm anyway, did no one notice that you can arrange the music on here by rating, replies and views?

popularity contest.

Saying stuff like "some other good artists as well maybe." It's just... so jerk, maybe refer to them as artists you simply like.

Also, I do actually think the filters would work if the rating made more sense. What is the featured music filter?