Chicago IL
stargazer wrote:

Don't mind saskrotch, he's a meany-weany.

i think it's a valid question

Timbob wrote:
stargazer wrote:

Yes I am!

big_smile

Oh, and Goob. The name of the cartridge isn't lsdj. The program is called Lsdj.
I'm assuming you've got a EMS cartridge?

Naming your cartridge lsdj is like naming your iPod Justin Bieber.

Sorry, its just easier for me to call it my lsdj cartridge... EMS from now on!  So, if I was going to use a pink cartridge, why would I want to bleach it white? The pink one is awesome!!!

goob47 wrote:
Timbob wrote:

big_smile

Oh, and Goob. The name of the cartridge isn't lsdj. The program is called Lsdj.
I'm assuming you've got a EMS cartridge?

Naming your cartridge lsdj is like naming your iPod Justin Bieber.

Sorry, its just easier for me to call it my lsdj cartridge... EMS from now on!  So, if I was going to use a pink cartridge, why would I want to bleach it white? The pink one is awesome!!!

Also, the pink one is rare as fuck.
you could sell it and buy 3 more EMS carts.

And again: the colour doesn't matter. they are all the same size.

Oh, and EMS, because there are different types of flash carts that you can use in your gameboy. EMS is the most used, but you've also got Bleepbloop and ... another that i can't remember the name of at the moment...

Last edited by Timbob (Jun 6, 2012 12:11 pm)

here's mine.
I moved 2 caps down, because over there the plastic is thicker. you can use sandpaper or a razor to scratch a bit of the casing, be careful not to overdo it, just enough.

Also, don't forget to carve a slot for the usb port. After that, you should be able to squeeze the pcb in your new cart.
It might still be a bit crammed, because the battery is quite close to the side of the cart, which makes it harder to slide it shut.

you could use a grey cart first to experiment on, before trying it on a coloured cart, because you can find them everywere tongue
and remember to back up your sav file, just in case.. you never know.

all at your own risk of course.

SLC, UT

In my defense: While I was completely trolling the entire time, because of that, this thread didn't die and people helped you.

EMS made two carts: a 32mbit non usb and a 64mbit with usb. So calling it ems64 is the best.

There is also bleepbloop, and smartboy. Smartboy uses a usb gb transferrer, but they're hard to come by. The bleepbloop v2 that is now basically dead had a usb port, the bleepbloop v1 used a transferrer. AFAIK, it was the same design as the smartboy.

None of the tamagochi carts are rare at all. Just because it's from Japan doesn't mean it's rare. Look at the price, a rare cart with box and manual in good condition for ~$15? Forget about it! You're the one asking about the Nintendo flash cart, I figured a white case for your ems64 could help fill that void because the nintendo one is actually a rare cart that you will most likely never see.

Really at the end of the day, you should just make music instead of making your gear look cool.

Seattle, Wa

Timbob, where did you get that green cart?

Random Bullshit.

stargazer wrote:

In my defense: While I was completely trolling the entire time, because of that, this thread didn't die and people helped you.

EMS made two carts: a 32mbit non usb and a 64mbit with usb. So calling it ems64 is the best.

There is also bleepbloop, and smartboy. Smartboy uses a usb gb transferrer, but they're hard to come by. The bleepbloop v2 that is now basically dead had a usb port, the bleepbloop v1 used a transferrer. AFAIK, it was the same design as the smartboy.

None of the tamagochi carts are rare at all. Just because it's from Japan doesn't mean it's rare. Look at the price, a rare cart with box and manual in good condition for ~$15? Forget about it! You're the one asking about the Nintendo flash cart, I figured a white case for your ems64 could help fill that void because the nintendo one is actually a rare cart that you will most likely never see.

Really at the end of the day, you should just make music instead of making your gear look cool.

yeah, smartboy. couldn't remember the name.

Anyway, the pink carts only came bundled with a pink pocket gameboy, in japan. all the other tamagotchi carts are white. I've got one pink cart that was used for a power rangers game. Bandai seems to have used them every once in a while, but there was never a big run like the pokemon carts. so yeah, the pink versions are rare.

the white tamagotchi carts are easier to get by. I got one for like 5 bucks or so.

And also I don't see the problem with people being so negative about people wanting to mod their gear. Some people enjoy the modding part of this subculture, some people are more into the musical part. that's all fine. But why go all "You can't paint your gameboy if you can't make any good tunes!"
makes no sense at all. If someone really enjoys the artsy craftsy work. good for him.

Retrovolvo wrote:

Timbob, where did you get that green cart?

The green cart was one of those 150 in one games. so not an official nintendo cart. But other than that, exactly the same size. Nintendo never did a green cartridge (the old style anyway) but there where a few pirated games like these that came in a green cart.

I once made a quite complete (almost) guide about carts and their colours (because i felt like it) but it was on that other site...

I do have a copy of it. but this is more of a chip music site, so I don't know if people will enjoy it as much tongue (seeing all the shit you get here if you ask a question about modding.)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I think you should post it, so we can refer new users and questions to it. smile
edit: this may be called cm.o but we're not just about music. Actually it seems we get just as much modders and programmers. Which isn't a bad thing.

Last edited by Auxcide (Jun 6, 2012 9:00 pm)

Auxcide wrote:

I think you should post it, so we can refer new users and questions to it. smile
edit: this may be called cm.o but we're not just about music. Actually it seems we get just as much modders and programmers. Which isn't a bad thing.

cool.
I'll make a new thread tomorrow, which will include the colour guide i've got so far, and a small tutorial on how to install an EMS cart in a cart of your choice. smile

Bristol, UK

I swapped my EMS into one of these http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/cl … cuit-cases

Made some space on the top and bottom with a dremel but not enough as there are some cracks appearing here and there. I didn't have to move any capacitors, I think that's just the older versions of the same cart that you needed to move them?

Evil Scientist wrote:

I swapped my EMS into one of these http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/cl … cuit-cases

Made some space on the top and bottom with a dremel but not enough as there are some cracks appearing here and there. I didn't have to move any capacitors, I think that's just the older versions of the same cart that you needed to move them?

Nah, it's because that case is modeled after a gameboy color cart. they have a bulge at the top so you have more room to put in caps or batteries or whatnot. The older DMG games have a dent at the top. so you have less space.

The problem with color games is that they won't fit in a DMG without making an incision where the power slider slides in. Not a lot of extra work if you already have to cut a hole for the usb port.. the one at kitsch already has a gap for the power slider made in.

(old game on the left, color game in the middle. dent vs bulge. Also note the lack of the corner, top right. GBA game on the right, where you probably need a hamer to get the cart to fit)

Last edited by Timbob (Jun 6, 2012 10:51 pm)

SLC, UT
Timbob wrote:

And also I don't see the problem with people being so negative about people wanting to mod their gear. Some people enjoy the modding part of this subculture, some people are more into the musical part. that's all fine. But why go all "You can't paint your gameboy if you can't make any good tunes!"
makes no sense at all. If someone really enjoys the artsy craftsy work. good for him.

My problem isn't that he want's to mod his stuff, but that all this info is completely available if you use the search function. I mean, I knew the answer and I've never started a new thread commanding people to help me.

stargazer wrote:
Timbob wrote:

My problem isn't that he want's to mod his stuff, but that all this info is completely available if you use the search function. I mean, I knew the answer and I've never started a new thread commanding people to help me.

Ah. But that's something else then.
Most people are to lazy for the search indeed.

But then attack someone on that. Keep it clear tongue

SLC, UT

WAIT A MINUTE. This is different from this:

Photo courtesy of nitro2k01.

So what's the deal? Is Nitro's a newer revison? From what I can tell modding his cart would require only moving the single cap.

Note: The red squares don't mean anything to me.

Last edited by stargazer (Jun 8, 2012 6:36 pm)

BC, Canada

I have two carts of an even newer revision (GB64USB-11, as marked on the top-right corner of the PCB), which only has surface-mount parts. I bought them around February / April this year.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50351929/CIMG6943.JPG

Ignore the torn out parts (D3 and R6); I had to tear those out because they became loose and caused problems.

Last edited by munchluxe63 (Jun 10, 2012 7:41 pm)