* Final may not be final

YEESSSS! ITS DONE.

I've had so much help on these forums and I thank you all for it.

I've hit one last snag however. The damn case wont close now!

The backlight works great and by the looks of it, I've not broken any connections on the LCD (Which was my big worry). However after testing and screwing everything back up the case won't shut.

Here's a piccy (though slightly out of focus, sorry sad ):

ALSO I resoldered the disconnected speaker back on and it's not working. It looks like when the speaker came off it took some of the metal on the PCB with it. Around the hole itself it seems like theres no metal track left and it just burns as I solder to it. I've tried dragging solder right back onto where the track isnt destroyed but to no avail. Is there anything I can do to repair this also?

nitro2k01: Titles must be descriptive, mmmkay?

CartooN: Sorry Nitro. You fixed my post last time as well. I'm just not used to that rule. I'll remember next time big_smile

Last edited by CartooN (Jun 15, 2012 4:56 pm)

The New City of York

I am at work right now so I dont have one in front of me but you should be able to follow the trace back to another solder point

Or you can take a razor blade and carefully scrape some of the laquer (for lack of a better word) off the trace thats left to expose the metal. Thats why the solder wont stick to it. If you do decide to go this route I would place some hot glue over the joint once you have it soldered and tested. Other wise you chance destroying the trace even further.

As for the case not shutting.... can you take a pic of the inside so we can get a better view of whats going on?

Last edited by Domz (Jun 15, 2012 4:59 pm)

The backlight might not be seated properly. Just don't force it shut, it should close comfortably. Without more pictures, it's difficult to say.

Domz wrote:

laquer (for lack of a better word)

Soldermask wink

The New City of York

thank you sir smile

Ok here are the two sides. The front side is currently partially screwed in. But obviously when I tried to close the case it was all screwed down.

I believe the problem is that the backlight is raising the screen just a little to much. I screw down the fron PCB very carefully to avoid pressure that might crack the screen or the PCB itself now that its got the backlight in there. Should I continue to screw the PCB down, and try and get it tighter? Or is there something else you can see there thats causing it not to shut?

Apeshit wrote:

The backlight might not be seated properly. Just don't force it shut, it should close comfortably. Without more pictures, it's difficult to say.

Domz wrote:

laquer (for lack of a better word)

Soldermask wink

The backlight is in as best it can be. The right side is slightly raised, but I have been told this is normal for nonefinites backlights. It doesnt stick out by a huge amount. I'll get a pic of the inside of the front now as well.

Last edited by CartooN (Jun 15, 2012 5:06 pm)

EDIT: missed that you mentioned the backlight type. You may need to cut the housing for the LCD. He left this out of his tutorial for some reason.

You can solder to the 5v source on the front board. You can use the same solder points that the VB/VC backlights use.

The wire over the back of the speaker won't work. I'm pretty sure the speaker sits flush on the plastic, so the wire won't allow for it to close properly.

Last edited by Apeshit (Jun 15, 2012 5:10 pm)

Just finished messing around with it. After a bit of rejigging and tightening I finally got it together. Theres a tiny bit of pressure on the screen, that you can see in the bottom corner when the gameboy is off but seems ok... for now. Might open it up again and give it a tiny bit of a loosen in certain parts.

Also managed to get the speaker working again too!

I'm pretty happy it's finally done. Ran into SOOOO many problems along the way. I might post some pictures later. But thanks for everyones help! I really do appreciate it. heart

Last edited by CartooN (Jun 15, 2012 6:32 pm)

The New City of York

Yes, definitely make sure you cut a a section of the lcd housing for the wires to pass through. I opted to use a dremel to carve a groove out without cutting the housing but its really not necessary. Cutting it will be fine and wont cause any issues.

I also see that you did not heat the shrink tube to shrink it around the resistor.

While closing up the case, you might have to move the yellow and red wires from the backlight around so they're not getting pinched.

Once all that is taken care of and you're closing the case up, don't be afraid to lightly press the case together to bend the ribbon cable back into position... its just straightened out from you removing it in the first place.

Last edited by Domz (Jun 17, 2012 4:21 am)