rochester, ny

Which do you prefer and why?

I prefer a physical copy as long as it is engaging / different. Has cool art, extras, you can plant it (a la Cheap Dinosaurs).

Nothing against digital copies at all. They tend to be cheaper and easier for everyone involved. I snag them all the time.

Also - please share any cool and different physical releases you've picked up recently.

We have releases at Telfuture which are both Digital and Physical.

Example, MAVS' 88:88 VHS release + Poster and a Digital Download code.

Best of both worlds.

UK

these days, digital. i have no space for physical artefacts in my flat.

uhajdafdfdfa

i don't pay for downloads ever

i like to buy CDs but free downloads (i don't Pirate though) are ok too

Digital for affordability and accessibility.

Physical for being able to hold the thing in my hands, gives it much greater value, the reason that vinyl is still a viable medium for distributing music.

NC in the US of America

On the Internet I like digital because it's just easier to get. "Ohh, new release. Hmmm... to buy the cd and wait for shipping, or download for free and listen now?" No brainer. Of course, if I went to a chip event and they were selling cds/vinyl/tapes/carts, etc, I'd definitely spring for those.

I do like physical copies too, because it gives a stronger feeling of "having" the release, ya know? It's like... I HAVE it. Feels more legit. Edit: Also, you don't lose anything if your computer crashes when you have physical copies of everything.

So I burn mix-CDs and play them in my car (because I don't have an mp3 player/smart phone currently). Really loudly, I might add. Hoping to get a few "questions" and spread the 8bit love around.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 21, 2012 3:36 pm)

brooklyn

I don't know that I have a preference.  I certainly like HAVING physical copies, but I always end up ripping CDs and only listening to them from my computer or phone anyway. 
Like sketchman said, I have a hard time being patient enough to wait for shipping of a physical release online if the digital version is available too.  I do buy physical releases if they are available in person though (like at shows and stuff).  I suppose its a matter of convenience.

used to find it really hard to skin up on an mp3

Philadelphia

I get most of my CDs through amazon or bandcamp as digital format. It's just a lot easier and more convenient for me. Although having physical copies is always nice to have when you want to share an artist or band with a friend.

BK
Kedromelon wrote:

I don't know that I have a preference.  I certainly like HAVING physical copies, but I always end up ripping CDs and only listening to them from my computer or phone anyway.

this.
i love owning a physical copy, especially for chip music...i'm sort of a collector of chipmusic physical releases but i usually buy them, rip them, and put them on my shelf, never to be touched again.

Chicago

of course physical
coolest physical I've owned was either Switchfoot's Oh. Gravity! or Project 86's Rival Factions.
The album art of Oh. Gravity! was super extended, really cool stuff.
Rival Faction's art was really interesting. The jewel case was blue, so all the images looked a certain way.
But when you removed the art from the case, it all looked "as it really is." lots of anti-corporate images, things like that. all sorts of hidden art.

East Kilbride, Scotland

I was right into vinyl, but I've increasingly went digital. I'd rather have the space, and it's more convenient and saves me a load of money.

Also as an artist, I don't like making physical products. There was a Sycamore Drive 7''. Never again. So much hassle/cost.

After moving house and getting rid of 500+ CDs I will always still digital now.  It was nice to have artwork and packaging but there's no reason you can't do something as interesting with digital releases. (printable artwork, apps, games)

Really undecided. I want to do something physical in the future because it also acts as merch which I do not have

Last edited by an0va (Jun 21, 2012 6:25 pm)

California
Kedromelon wrote:

I certainly like HAVING physical copies, but I always end up ripping CDs and only listening to them from my computer or phone anyway.

^this.

But I still prefer physical because I like looking at liner notes and artwork while I'm listening to the album. I love vinyl because the record sleeves are so big so you can really take a good look at the art. However, I hate album artwork that is nothing more than a photo of the artist and their name, so in that case I might prefer digital.

Rochester, NY

I like having physical copies personally, the other guys might feel differently

Having CDs wasting space on your table just makes it feel real though