NC in the US of America

I'll keep it brief:

When using the sweep function of Pulse 1, is it possible to change the floor of the sweep? Or is it always going to be locked at C3? If it is possible, it would make creating kick+bass lines much easier without using tables.

Also, I created a table as such:

TSP| CMD
FF | S-DO
FF | S-00
00 | S-DO
00 | 00
.. | ..

With no Hops.

When I apply the table to notes on the PU2 channel, it creates a cool little short start-sharp-then-slide-down-to-note effect. When I apply it to a single note PU1 channel, however, it TSPs up to the note instead of sliding, cuts off short, then,  as the table loops back around, it plays a few extra tones.

Does the PU1 function different than the PU2 channel because of the PU1's sweep functionality? I thought they were identical except for the sweep.

Finally, do you guys have a method for increasing the volume of a WAVE synth without altering it's LFO(?) functionality? LIke, I made a wave instrument that I like, but it's too quiet. I want to keep it exactly the way it is, but just louder.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 21, 2012 5:58 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

Your table has S commands (sweep) so it will be different on P1 and P2.  Because S has no effect on P2.  Take those out and experiment with the transpose column to get what you're after.

For the wav you could try manually raising the points in the waveform on the WAVE screen but that usually doesn't really work.  Try changing your DIST setting, that can sometimes get you a lot more volume.

Sweeeeeeden

You can achieve this using a combination of the P and L commands (and not using the S command or sweep at all.) Check this lsdsng out:

http://lsdsng.com/song/tonal-kick-tutorial

NC in the US of America
egr wrote:

Your table has S commands (sweep) so it will be different on P1 and P2.  Because S has no effect on P2.  Take those out and experiment with the transpose column to get what you're after.

For the wav you could try manually raising the points in the waveform on the WAVE screen but that usually doesn't really work.  Try changing your DIST setting, that can sometimes get you a lot more volume.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the WAVE screen. I might actually try that. I've been trying to adjust the different values gradually to get more volume without altering the overall sound too much. I was hoping more experienced people would have a quick key to getting it done quickly. Tried the DIST, but it didn't help much. I'll just keep experimenting and compromising.

Also... DOH! about the sweep commands. Of course. I should have known. I actually like how it came out though. I'm keeping it as is, as it makes for a cool glitchy-sounding ending.

nitro2k01 wrote:

You can achieve this using a combination of the P and L commands (and not using the S command or sweep at all.) Check this lsdsng out:

http://lsdsng.com/song/tonal-kick-tutorial

I'm assuming you're referring to the question of how to alter the "sweep" floor? Thanks! That's just what I was looking for. So that means you can't change the floor of the actual sweep command? Glad to know, because that was frustrating me for a bit. I've done wave kicks and impromptu pulse kicks (when I didn't feel like making a new instrument or needed it on the PU2 channel) using the P and/or L commands, but I didn't really pay much attention to the effect on the floor. Makes perfect sense, though.

Thanks!

Sweeeeeeden

Sweep/S command is using hardware pitch modulation. It will simply keep on going until it hits the top or bottom frequency. (Which BTW is slightly lower than C3.) There's no way of reading out the exact internal state of the frequency register and stopping the sweep at a certain point. (You could try to time it right, but it would be pretty fiddly for little gain.) If you're using sweep to make a kick, my suggestion is to choose the sweep and volume envelope so that the volume dies out before the sweep hits the floor.

NC in the US of America
nitro2k01 wrote:

Sweep/S command is using hardware pitch modulation. It will simply keep on going until it hits the top or bottom frequency. (Which BTW is slightly lower than C3.) There's no way of reading out the exact internal state of the frequency register and stopping the sweep at a certain point. (You could try to time it right, but it would be pretty fiddly for little gain.) If you're using sweep to make a kick, my suggestion is to choose the sweep and volume envelope so that the volume dies out before the sweep hits the floor.

Thanks again. It's always fun to learn about the inner workings of the beast. I didn't know it was a hardware thing.

The problem came up because I was trying to make a long kick with a long envelope. But the slowest sweep setting (in the Instrument screen) was too fast and it floored too soon, and since "slightly lower than C3" isn't the tonic note, it sounds awkward (but not too bad). I just ended up lowering the volume and closing the envelope a bit sooner, and it's not so bad.

Maybe someday in the distant future I'll revisit that song and fix the kick.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

For that, I'd fade the kick out and in a different channel, fade the tonic bass note in. Probably a 50%.