Unsubscribe

I rather keep all my space for feeling real for my bevy of bodacious beauties and my stacks upon stacks of hundos and clips.

Comment removed.

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 6:52 am)

New York, NY

I think chip vinyl / cassette  are worth a purchase.
If you to sell merch or promote: download cards from bandcamp are pretty neat.

Cd's? - hard to say these days.

NC in the US of America
Falling For A Square wrote:

I think chip vinyl / cassette  are worth a purchase.
If you to sell merch or promote: download cards from bandcamp are pretty neat.

Cd's? - hard to say these days.

Not to mention all these tablets coming out these days taking the place of laptops and not having cd drives.

Tokyo, Japan

I'm waiting for people to let me give artists x bucks to photograph a ad code with a download link.

buffalo, NY

I make more money off of digital sales (I guess I could charge more for physicals, but I don't want to).

Also my digital copy has more content, like live videos, save files, and a bonus track.  I love physical copies, but as an artist digital is so attractive to me

Earth

I think I have a disease where I like collecting vinyl releases. I like the sound of the record. I'll actually take the time to rip them to mp3s. Vinyl also has bigger artwork for sticking on a wall. Yeah cds can be cool too though if they come with cool stuff. I can go either way really. Digital downloads are of course hugely convenient. To some up, I think it's awesome if the artist takes the time to make vinyl, and I would almost certainly get that version.

Rochester, NY

i actually think i prefer digital these days. there's a few artists/bands out there that i'll buy physical copies of, but for the most part i'm happy with digital.

as for the artwork... i used to like this sort of thing myself. as time goes on though, i find that there's a lot of albums where i hate the artwork and would prefer not even having seen it. one example that always comes to mind is Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'. i fucking hate that album cover and it somehow makes me think less of the album because of it. every time i think of that record (or any song off it) the damn album cover pops into my head. there's actually a bunch of albums that i feel this way about. it almost ruins the whole experience for me.

Last edited by jbuonacc (Jun 22, 2012 4:44 pm)

bclikesyou wrote:

Which do you prefer and why?

I prefer a physical copy as long as it is engaging / different. Has cool art, extras, you can plant it (a la Cheap Dinosaurs).

Nothing against digital copies at all. They tend to be cheaper and easier for everyone involved. I snag them all the time.

Also - please share any cool and different physical releases you've picked up recently.

i like a physical copy.  my favorite is vinyl.  i would put out songs on vinyl if i could afford it.  digital is great if it's free.  i love my portable mp3 player.

i think the last vinyl i got might have been tangerine sky.  that was a while ago though..  i got a really nice giorgio moroder compilation vinyl last year.

Last edited by electricloverecords (Jun 22, 2012 4:59 pm)

Rochester, NY
jbuonacc wrote:

Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'

It's because you see it everywhere, it's so iconic

Pretty sure the album art is amazing but because it's so overused/parodied in music/popular culture it's annoying.

Like, "Oh have you HEARD of DARK SIDE OF THE MOON look at this album art it's like a RAINBOW~" bullshit

I don't hate it but seeing that album cover is pretty annoying IMO

Gosford, Australia
VCMG wrote:

But I still prefer physical because I like looking at liner notes and artwork while I'm listening to the album. I love vinyl because the record sleeves are so big so you can really take a good look at the art.

word. listening to thick as a brick while reading all the fictional newspaper articles on the sleeve = so good.

i'd like to see more 3D papercraft or origami in album art, that'd be nifty

Rochester, NY
ChipsChallengeBand wrote:
jbuonacc wrote:

Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'

It's because you see it everywhere, it's so iconic

Pretty sure the album art is amazing but because it's so overused/parodied in music/popular culture it's annoying.

Like, "Oh have you HEARD of DARK SIDE OF THE MOON look at this album art it's like a RAINBOW~" bullshit

no, i just think it's a shit cover and doesn't relate in the slightest to the album itself (besides maybe the 'heartbeat' pulse on the inside cover, but that's pretty lame too). its popularity just makes it worse.

i'm sure i could easily list twenty others that i wish i'd never seen.

Last edited by jbuonacc (Jun 23, 2012 5:11 am)

Los Angeles

"Oh have you HEARD of DARK SIDE OF THE MOON look at this album art it's like a RAINBOW~" bullshit

sounds more like a prism to me...
as a kid i would get a big chuckle at 'The Wall's artwork. Giant butt wearing a judge wig lol.

back to topic,
i think it's great to have physical formats available, but maybe save them for special releases. Digital is great for pumping out endless short EP's, but make the physical format a comp of EPs ya know? (unless of course you are putting out 7"s)

Brunswick, GA USA

I appreciate the feel of the physical goods, but having once owned over 1000 records, cassettes, and CDs, I'm thankful for digital and I realize I don't sit and listen often enough to look back. Tl;dr- the shit takes up too much space.

Last edited by chunter (Jun 23, 2012 4:02 pm)

Sweden

I like digital, but I can appreciate the ritual of taking a disc out and putting it on the platter, or rewinding tapes or whatever.

East Kilbride, Scotland
chunter wrote:

I appreciate the feel of the physical goods, but having once owned over 1000 records, cassettes, and CDs, I'm thankful for digital and I realize I don't sit and listen often enough to look back. Tl;dr- the shit takes up too much space.

Word. I'm towards the end of getting rid of all of my vinyl, and I can't wait until it's all gone. It takes up so much space.