Lately I've been trying to mix everything lower, but volume levels creep up over time. Usually I'll write a song that ends up around the A level, but I like to drop my entire Wave channel down to Volume 2 so that the kicks stand out a lot (at 3); this means I basically go through the entire song again after I've written it and bring all the volume levels down as much as I can. I wrestle back and forth with it a lot.

Also, when you're making your Wave instruments try changing the volume in the synth screen to 80, it boosts the whole thing up.

Sydney AUS
ant1 wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

Anyway, I went back through my songs, and I do occasionally use lower numbers, so there.

I figured out something, though... I should be able to boost the output volume of the emulator over 100% to satisfy my needs and keep my stuff clear sounding.

if you run these program on wav files they can make them as loud as they can possibly be without compromising quality
https://neon1.net/prog/normalizer.html
http://normalize.nongnu.org/

maybe you're interested in that smile

NORMALISER ?? BITCH PLZ >>>>>:(((((((((
Is that like multiband compression for the instapro? tongue

A normalizer takes your loudest transient in the whole song and brings it to 0dbFS, basically the loudest point in the digital music medium. It moves the entire waveform with it though, so you'll also get an overall boost in volume. However if your dynamics are all over the place you won't hear a recognizable difference. For example, if you have a quiet song that 90% of the time stays below -10db but at the very end you have one crash cymbal that hits at -1db, normalization will bring that loud hit +1db to hit 0db and the rest of the song up to -9. So don't expect CD-like "loudness." Here's where mastering guys compress the track just the right amount across frequency bands for equal loudness. It's a lot harder than you think. Also, if your song is already clipping and going over 0db, normalization will actually make it sound softer. yikes

Last edited by an0va (Jun 24, 2012 3:59 am)

Lexington, KY

'erebody always hating' on normalize.

Gosford, Australia

sometimes for big chorus sections my leads will be 9x or Ax
depends!

There needs to be a program where you can pick a volume level and just scale everything back/up to that level; yes I know I just described a compressor, but it'd be cool to have a wave editor with a visual interface that just has handles on the volume and on transients and lets you drag them around. Maybe I'll invent that at become a billionaire.

Zef wrote:

There needs to be a program where you can pick a volume level and just scale everything back/up to that level; yes I know I just described a compressor, but it'd be cool to have a wave editor with a visual interface that just has handles on the volume and on transients and lets you drag them around. Maybe I'll invent that at become a billionaire.

Audacity!

Sydney, NSW
Zef wrote:

when you're making your Wave instruments try changing the volume in the synth screen to 80, it boosts the whole thing up.

Works sometimes, but not for me. I've had nothing but bad experiences when messing with the synth volume on a perfect wav sound

Zef wrote:

the only semimagical thing i've seen like that was http://izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/download.asp

and it was about five years ago.

guys really, audacity does have that feature lol

NC in the US of America
Frostbyte wrote:

guys really, audacity does have that feature lol

It does have a feature where you drag the volume down for fading in/out manually. I suppose the "Amplify" feature is what you are referring to, though? Right?

Audacity actually does have all of these features smile

No, it's called the envelope tool, located as the top middle button in the top left of the gui smile

NC in the US of America
Frostbyte wrote:

No, it's called the envelope tool, located as the top middle button in the top left of the gui smile

That let's you increase the volume, too? I thought it only decreased it. hmmm

well, again, you don't want to increase volume, you can decrease other parts of the song so you're not compromising quality. then when you're done making sure it all sounds dynamically right, you can normalize the track to standard volume and you'll be fine.

But yeah you can manually edit track volume there by dragging and dropping pretty much.

NC in the US of America
Zef wrote:

Lately I've been trying to mix everything lower, but volume levels creep up over time. Usually I'll write a song that ends up around the A level, but I like to drop my entire Wave channel down to Volume 2 so that the kicks stand out a lot (at 3); this means I basically go through the entire song again after I've written it and bring all the volume levels down as much as I can. I wrestle back and forth with it a lot.

Also, when you're making your Wave instruments try changing the volume in the synth screen to 80, it boosts the whole thing up.

Oooh! Thank you. I will try this. Hopefully this is the answer I've been looking for.