Melbourne, AU

Depends how much effort is being put into the packaging of the release. The inclusion of booklets, photos, cards, shiny things, strange coloured vinyl and weird formats will make me want to buy something. 

I probably wouldn't buy a regular ol' CD in a case with nothing else unless I was at a gig and have had a few.

jbuonacc wrote:

no, i just think it's a shit cover and doesn't relate in the slightest to the album itself (besides maybe the 'heartbeat' pulse on the inside cover, but that's pretty lame too). its popularity just makes it worse.

i'm sure i could easily list twenty others that i wish i'd never seen.

It really doesn't relate to the album at all. Some artist Pink Floyd knew just showed them a bunch of pictures to choose for their new album and they just chose the pretty one with the rainbow on it.

Last edited by mysterystain (Jun 23, 2012 5:39 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA
mysterystain wrote:

It really doesn't relate to the album at all. Some artist Pink Floyd knew just showed them a bunch of pictures to choose for their new album and they just chose the pretty one with the rainbow on it.

The graphics in albums like that are deliberate, for example, the rainbow on Dark side of the Moon goes all the way around the jacket on purpose, but there are lots of people involved, nearly hundreds at times, to make things like that.

NC in the US of America

One good thing about physical releases is that they have resell value when you get tired of them.

Not so with mp3s.

Sweden

Big music is supposed to take up a lot of space. I want a digital release with the bits carved into a gigantic obelisk.

Fargo

I like digital copies unless I'm a really big fan of the music, in which case I will buy a vinyl copy, if available.  I hardly ever use CDs other than to rip them onto my computer and set them aside.  If the music is really good, and there is no vinyl available, I'd rather have the CD to be able to rip a higher quality audio file.  If the music is good but doesn't rank in the higher bracket, I don't mind having .mp3s rather than higher quality files.

East Kilbride, Scotland
SketchMan3 wrote:

One good thing about physical releases is that they have resell value when you get tired of them.

Not so with mp3s.

Well, some things have a resale value, but it depends on how popular the bands you like are, and if there is a market when you decide to get rid of them. I've got about 3/4 of the way through selling my physical music collection, and now I'm stuck with this big load of records by bands no-one has heard of, and I can't shift them.

Also, mp3s tend to be cheaper than the physical records (at least with vinyl), so while mp3s don't have a resale value, you usually make an initial saving.

United Kingdom

I don't mind purchasing physical releases however they have to be limited edition to tempt me otherwise I prefer digital download especially since download is generally a lot more cheaper compared to buying something physical and paying postage rates.

With the chip scene I like how artists including .sav files and sometimes tips with their digital releases, lets you explore their techniques, at times it makes you appreciate the music more knowing that you have seen the music in it's raw form of how it was designed.

tl;dr

Digital is nice.

Holland

I don't really care.

sweden
SketchMan3 wrote:

Not so with mp3s.

What if the mp3s are sold out? Surely THAT most increase their value?

Robotcity, the year 20XX

As a listener I do not really care, or it has to be something special, like the cheap dinosaurs plant, or the infinity shred 4 vinyl album.

As a musician I love to release physical stuf. Unfortunately, it costs money plus no one really seems to buy stuff anymore at shows. We're still stuck with +200 copies of Clarence, our first ep, because we had to order 600 cds (that was their minimum).