I'm thinking about making one following the regular PCB layout from the website, but I can't find ferric chloride to etch the PCB layout over here, only on Amazon.co.uk and ebay. Also, did you get the cartridge slot from something like a game genie or an actual Game Boy? That seems the only part that is hard to come by and I don't want to destroy one of my gameboys.

Otherwise, the programmer looks really neat and the price seems decent too, but doing it myself will keep me busy and be a couple bucks cheaper.

Nun4t4k wrote:

Maybe this is obvious to some, but I'm not sure myself so I wanted to ask: can the programmer read the SRAM of other cartridges as well, like a Pokémon game or the Game Boy Camera? If I can do with the programmer what I'm currently accomplishing through a Mega Memory, that alone might interest me in picking one up eventually. I'm not really down for soldering those SMD IC's, though...

I think so, there is an app for the programmer so that you can get photos off your Game Boy Camera and I'm guessing that this would work for other cartridges, although I'm not shure.

Ferric chloride is really only supposed to be shipped surface mail too, because it falls under the category of dangerous goods. It can be hard to find.

I haven't really established a price yet, I'm just giving myself leeway room. But I can almost guarantee buying a kit will be cheaper than trying it yourself. Etching at home has been nothing but a waste of time and money in my experience...

But yeah, the cart slot is from a gameboy.

Toronto

I would buy one of these, but if I could get you to solder the SMT stuff (i can handle everything else, i'm sure) beforehand for the cost of the labour, I'd be in 100%.

I'm on board too.
Get it? On board?!?!?

Milwaukee, WI

Cool!  I'm okay with SMT (but I can see this being a huge problem for many).  Are you sure you'd want to do a SMT kit though?  Most of the people I've talked to have absolutely hated packing SMT parts for kits.  wink

Theta_Frost wrote:

Are you sure you'd want to do a SMT kit though?

No, I don't. I don't want to make a kit at all quite frankly. I already have the SMD boards made, and my plan was to have them assembled by machines.  Everyone seems to be for the idea of a DIY kit though, but I'm definitely not making a third PCB. There's a ready-to-etch board that can be found at the link I posted if anyone wants to do the thru hole version.

Apeshit wrote:
Theta_Frost wrote:

No, I don't. I don't want to make a kit at all quite frankly. I already have the SMD boards made, and my plan was to have them assembled by machines.  Everyone seems to be for the idea of a DIY kit though, but I'm definitely not making a third PCB. There's a ready-to-etch board that can be found at the link I posted if anyone wants to do the thru hole version.

I think getting a fully assembled board is still a good option for a lot of people and these look really nice, especially in the blue case. I would buy one, but since I have so much time on my hands I'm going to build one myself. As for the rest, I'm going to look into getting the standard layout printed out by a company, maybe I'll get a few extra for the DIY people in here (but I wouldn't count on it), because the original design only has one SMD, which will make soldering a lot easier.

Indiana

I'd definitely be interested in an assembled board. It's something I'd like to have as a utility, but not necessarily anything I'd start as a project.

shanghai

maybe im really really stoned. maybe dumb. bit of both. but what is it ?

Sweeeeeeden
Downstate wrote:

maybe im really really stoned. maybe dumb. bit of both. but what is it ?

It's a thing you plug into a USB port and use to modify the contents of a non-USB Gameboy flash cartridge.

Tucson, AZ

How about some details?  List of compatible cartridge types, etc.

Honestly, I think that doing a kit with surface-mount components will be more trouble for you than its worth. I'd be down for an assembled / enclosed version -- assuming its fully compatible with EMS carts.

Sweeeeeeden

This is literally the same unit sold as the bleepbloop and smartboy burner, but this time with permission. (Yay!)
So, no full compatibility with EMS carts. (Only SRAM).

Milwaukee, WI
Apeshit wrote:
Theta_Frost wrote:

Yeah, I'd say go assembled then.  Pleasing the few like me probably isn't worth it. smile

Dublin, Ireland

I'd be interested in at least one (assembled, definitely).

I've decided I'm going to go with the black case instead. Or if there's sufficient interest, I could even have a custom case made specifically for this.

For all of those interested in purchasing one, please send me a PM and I'll compile a list.

Sweden

I'm 100% in for an assembled reader!