Netherlands, Rotterdam

Hey there

I'm KurKami and just up lauded my first 2 tracks on this site

1.Overdrive   http://chipmusic.org/kurkami/music/overdrive
a track i made few weeks back as introduction

2. Something Summer      http://chipmusic.org/kurkami/music/something-summer
a track i just finished

i would love to get some CC on this seeing as i'm new to this community.

i'm most interested on feedback of the middle part of Something Summer  as i LOVEEE to make things like that in my numbers (this time i held back) but i want to know if it is appreciated here (so i know to up laud those tracks or not)

.FILTHadelphia

These are both tracked very well but there's something off about both of the chord progressions. I can't quite place it.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I didn't hate the middle part, it just surprised me.

@Def, what you're hearing 'off' is him using some off notes in chords. Probably turning what would be a major in the scale to a minor (or vice versa). While weird and uncommon for the ears and western music listeners, I wasn't too bothered by it. You just get used to it.

Netherlands, Rotterdam

@Defiantsystem
as Auxcide already said i indeed throwed some major+minor chords together or used a major chord when it should be minor on the Scale

i used to compose modern classic music while mainly using the 12-note system of Schoenberg as basis so i don't really notice when a chord isn't on the base scale tongue

btw is it common to introduce yourself in some topic when you sing up as musician?

.FILTHadelphia

It's not necessary that you introduce yourself but there is an intro thread.

I don't want you to take my comment as a negative criticism. I guess my ear is just tuned to hear the next set of notes but then I hear something else and it throws off the wiring in my brain.

Paso del Rey, Argentina

Just listened to both tracks. I find interesting the fact that in both there are non-conventional elements. Probably "Something Summer" is less strange than "Overdrive", but is has also its strange moments, and that´s what I like about them. In overdrive, I like the stops in the middle of the piece. In both cases final of the piece is a little bit abrupt to my ears. But as I said, the non-conventional elements worth the listening.

I read you used to create music using the dodecaphonic system. It would be interesting to create some chipmusic using the Schoenberg system. Of course that won´t hit the charts, but would be musically appealing and a nice experiment. smile

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I believe this is the appeal. Shocking the ears with the unconventional. I try to use non scale specific chords but never like this. big_smile
I like when people apply different musical elements to trackers. Not just the normal boring standards.

I might have to incorperate more of my virtuoso musical ideas.
(Time for my key change every 4bars song) tongue

Netherlands, Rotterdam

@wandering genie
i actually tried that but the result was ......... not that good
i did go very much over the top with that experiment. if you want i can send it to you. but it's mainly a experiment and i didn't complete any part of it

i am playing with the idea to let 12 different people put a,b,c,d,e,f,g,a,b in a random order creating 12 different sequences  and let a 13 person decide the order of using them. creating a melody completely out of any scale or wat else big_smile

Paso del Rey, Argentina

@kurkam
Well, It could be interesting to listen to it.

Also your idea of 12 different sequences could be interesting to explore.

Sydney, NSW
defiantsystems wrote:

my ear is just tuned to hear the next set of notes but then I hear something else and it throws off the wiring in my brain.

If pulled of well, I love that in a song! Unpredictability is what I find gets me thinking "Oh shiiiiit" and bopping my head, whether it be melodic, rhythmic or any other kind of unpredictability.

NC in the US of America

Man... I shouldn't have read the comments before listening sad

Eh... the chord progressions sound like stuff I've made up on ukulele, so no "Oh snap, how did the progression get there!!?" moments.

It was cool, though. I enjoyed it. Not my cup of tea, but I can at least appreciate it for what it is.