Hey! So, I wrote my first chiptune piece in Famitracker, and would like your input. Please and thanks!

http://soundcloud.com/robot-sex-apocalypse/bending-demo

Rochester, NY

wow I'm not even sure if that was in a consistent key

please finish your compositions before you post them here for critique

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
ChipsChallengeBand wrote:

Also, did you only use two channels? Because it sounded limp and rather void

AndrewKilpatrick wrote:
ChipsChallengeBand wrote:

Also, did you only use two channels? Because it sounded limp and rather void

Ah, I was wondering if the key changed too much. Some key changes are usually acceptable in music, but I was afraid (and you've confirmed) that this one strayed a bit too much.

And actually, yes, I did only use two channels up until the very end of the piece. I didn't realize how poorly that came out, though.

But thanks! You guys gave me exactly the two things I was looking for the most.

.FILTHadelphia

I liked it. It's a bold move to change keys like that, I think it worked well. Go with it and add more elements, I'd really like to see this song progress.

Also with a name like Robot Sex Apocalypse you're bound for greatness.

shanghai

i like detuned dissonant sounds, but its not really working for me tbh.
last quarter is on the right track !
my advice dont run before you can walk
make something simple ish before you go uber motzart : P

Downstate wrote:

i like detuned dissonant sounds, but its not really working for me tbh.
last quarter is on the right track !
my advice dont run before you can walk
make something simple ish before you go uber motzart : P

This is fair. tongue I just had the idea in my head and wanted to get it out before I lost it, but I'll concede I don't know enough about Famitracker yet to accurately attempt something like this. I think I might shelf this one, go fiddle a bit more with some simpler songs, learn how the DPCM channel works, and come back to finish this.

Greatest chipmusician name ever.

Netherlands, Rotterdam

hey when i started using famitracker this REALY helped me (awesome btw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TGnkOpt … ature=plcp
there is a file link in the description so you can open it yourself (awesome song btw)

and another thing when i first started using it i hard a hard time finding how to add more channels so im gonna tell you that in case you didn't know tongue
1.press the module tab
2.press module properties
3. chose a expansion chip to your liking (i like konami VRC6 the most)

KurKami wrote:

hey when i started using famitracker this REALY helped me (awesome btw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TGnkOpt … ature=plcp
there is a file link in the description so you can open it yourself (awesome song btw)

and another thing when i first started using it i hard a hard time finding how to add more channels so im gonna tell you that in case you didn't know tongue
1.press the module tab
2.press module properties
3. chose a expansion chip to your liking (i like konami VRC6 the most)

Oh snap! I appreciate it!

And thanks Frostbyte!

Melody seems decent but a little weird in the middle. The track sounded empty because you only used 2 channels. That last bit sounded more like it. I also missed drums, but feel free to do whatever you like!

Lavar wrote:

Melody seems decent but a little weird in the middle. The track sounded empty because you only used 2 channels. That last bit sounded more like it. I also missed drums, but feel free to do whatever you like!

Yeah, I'm seeing the resounding advice here is that using two channels is bad news, so I'm definitely going to amend this and make the chords actual chords as opposed to thirds or power chords.

Also, to people who were wondering if this has a consistent key - 80% of it is in C. Even the runs in the middle. It's just that the beginning isn't, which means I'm going to probably end up making that in the key of C as well to mesh with the rest of it. It may sound odd to some people though because, as I remembered about halfway through, the C minor Pentatonic scale and the C scale are not in the same key, dohoho my music theory teacher in highschool is weeping in a corner somewhere I'm sure. So while 80% of this is in C, some of it is trying to be in Cminor Pentatonic and failing, causing the weirdness.

If that means anything to anyone.