Does anyone know the details of how the xchanger/transferer programs carts?   (Beyond "it pulls pin 31 low to activate write-enable on the flash chip".)  For example, how does it erase the cart?  As I understand flash chips, there is an explicit block-erasing step, which I'm assuming the xchanger/transferer controls.

The reason I ask is that I have one of these cart-dumper boards in the mail, and I'd like to modify the firmware so that I can flash my GB Smart 32M cart.  Unfortunately, I have never owned a programmer, so I can't experiment to find out how it works, and I can't analyze the circuitry of the cart because some of the traces go under the chips where I can't follow them (though I'm not sure I could analyze it even if they didn't.)

Sweeeeeeden

Check the datasheet for the specific flash chip on the cartridge I believe most EMS carts are usin Intel flash, like 28F320.You write  a certain byte sequence to erase, enter programming mode etc. If you still need help, asl.

BK

If you're able to get this done using one of those boards, please let us know. a $35 flasher would be a game-changer for users of EMS carts.

nitro2k01 wrote:

Check the datasheet for the specific flash chip on the cartridge I believe most EMS carts are usin Intel flash, like 28F320.You write  a certain byte sequence to erase, enter programming mode etc. If you still need help, asl.

I have the datasheet for the flash chip.  The problem is that, as far as I know, I don't have raw enough access to the flash chip via the cart pins to be able to program the chip just from the datasheet information.  (I could be wrong here; I'm not an electronics expert.)  I am assuming I would need some knowledge about the firmware on the MACH 4 chip to know whether it does some of the work in erasing/writing the flash chip or there is raw access to the flash chip.  (Pictures of the cart PCB are here.)

Milwaukee, WI

I wouldn't mind some more info on these.  I remember reading about them a while ago, but it looks like they are ready for shipping now!

Ecuador

would these work with bleepbloop?

Hey Mindless, glad you bought one of my dumpers. I have had another person ask me about flashing for atmel and amd based carts. I have started working on adding the code to the firmware to allow you to write for Intel, Atmel, and AMD NOR Flash devices. Send me a e-mail at the address once you get it in the mail and I can work with you on adding support. The device's firmware is updateable via a software.

Sweeeeeeden

Mindless: You need to use the so called vin pin (pin 31 on the cartridge slot) instead of /wr to perform a write to the flash chip.