Rochester, NY

Nice chops, Frostbyte.

Why are you using F commands?

Thanks Chips! Just wait until my next two EPs are released, I'm talking like TREYFREY status programming on these things wink

.exe, F commands manually change the wave that is being used by the instrument. You could change the playback settings in the instrument itself by using pingpong or loop or whatever, but I figured since I'm already using a table for the simulated envelope, I might as well just use F commands to make it modulate the pulse width smoother with the volume decay.

It just seems silly when you're trying to recreate an instrument with higher bits, but if it sounds best alright.

Madison, Alabama

I have a tutorial devoted to LSDJ PWM if you want something more in-depth:  http://www.noisechannel.org/posts/4691

You should be able to play with the synth settings and that patch to get the sound you're after.

Set up the PWM patch, set the synth to play "once" and alter the speed/length to vary the PWM.

If you want to have the volume decrease as the PWM narrows you can use either E commands in the phrase or alter the amplitude of the PWM in the wave screen, lowering it by degrees frame-by-frame.

Last edited by roboctopus (Jun 27, 2012 11:20 pm)

Yeah, honestly, I could have made it a lot more in depth (using all the waves available to make a nice, slow modulating one).

Roboctopus does way more PWM than I do, he's the REAL man for the job wink

@Frostbyte: you are on Bandcamp - nice, so I can buy your ep's

@roboctopus: already saw your tut's on noisecannel and tried all on 'em - very nice.
FrostBytes hint to use the F cmd to change the waveform was something I didn't knew before (although lsdj shows it) - how do ppl say? RTFM, aight? wink
Btw: your "in space no-one can hear you" is one of (only!) 5 elements on my desktop - love it! Sad, you lost it in the 4bit nirvana..

Madison, Alabama

@chipnchap - Are you talking about "In Space No One Can Hear You Disco"?!?

Savannah, Georgia

frostbyte confirmed for WAV channel god. that is all.

@roboctopus: yes. sry, I missed the "disco" wink

Aeros wrote:

frostbyte confirmed for WAV channel god. that is all.

Mucho appreciated-o!

Warsaw, Poland

HI,
I will post this here, cause my question is about reproducing sound but it's sound made in LSDJ.
http://vimeo.com/13240905 at ~27:30 he shows a nice sound which sounds like 2 instrument played at the same time with only one WAV note at once. Does anyone have idea how to make magic like this one happen?

PS - Sorry if I posted it in wrong thread / subforum - I will create a new one if needed.

NC in the US of America

Lol. I've been trying to make my wav basses loud WITHOUT the extra harmonic note playing above it.

haha I gave up because many of the classic NES and GB basses have that anyway.

Also... this is a troll, right? Because he definitely explains how to do it IN THE VIDEO right after he plays it.

Warsaw, Poland
SketchMan3 wrote:

Also... this is a troll, right? Because he definitely explains how to do it IN THE VIDEO right after he plays it.

No, he doesn't. he tries to do that, but he can't so he says "Ok, fuck it. Let's talk about arpeggios."

I tried to reproduce this on my own, but sound is very thin.

Gosford, Australia
Art-Z wrote:

HI,
I will post this here, cause my question is about reproducing sound but it's sound made in LSDJ.
http://vimeo.com/13240905 at ~27:30 he shows a nice sound which sounds like 2 instrument played at the same time with only one WAV note at once. Does anyone have idea how to make magic like this one happen?

You can do this using a squarewave with Q set kinda high, anywhere between 5 and A is nice imo.
Set the play mode to manual and mess around with the cutoff number until you like how the overtone matches up the fundamental note. The higher the Q the louder the overtone will be.

You can also just use graph paper to work out what a basic waveform would look like with an octave or two added. Some of my favourite wav sounds can only be drawn by hand.

NC in the US of America
Art-Z wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

No, he doesn't. he tries to do that, but he can't so he says "Ok, fuck it. Let's talk about arpeggios."

I tried to reproduce this on my own, but sound is very thin.

Oh. My bad.

I wonder if he couldn't have just gone into the instrument screen and looked at it instead of trying to remake it from scratch.

Anyway... yeah, use Q. That'll give you some overtones.