NYC

Hey - forgive me if this is a really dumb question. But I'm interested in getting individual channels off LSDJ for remix purposes. I've done this on a PC Atari trackers via a utility that just exports channels and make it possible to mute 7 other channels. Is there an analogous possibility for LSDJ?

Brooklyn NY US

Individual channels can be muted / soloed during playback. Don't have my Game Boy in front of me, but I think pressing B and START will solo whatever channel your cursor happens to be on in the song screen; and alternately I think B and SELECT will mute.

NC in the US of America

Yes, and then release B before releasing start/select to keep it that way. Press B with the cursor on the track to unmute it.

Yeah; there's no fancy software for it; but it's easy enough to do by hand.

NC in the US of America

I think the emulator BGB has the ability to export separate channels. However, that doesn't do you any good if you're using an actual Gameboy.

BC, Canada

Can't you just use select+left on the main screen to go into live mode, then start one channel?

munchluxe63 wrote:

Can't you just use select+left on the main screen to go into live mode, then start one channel?

How have I not thought of this before?

The Mountains

Guess we can close the file on this one!

Unsubscribe

ive found that your groove can become fucky by doing the live mode one channel only thing versus muting the other channels in regular song mode.. especially for projects under heavy load. Even multitracking muted channels synced to an external clock "feels" different to me than just recording a stereo mix. Am I just being crazy?

Rochester, NY

No, you're probably right, especially under heavy load.  Ticks and tempo are slightly variable when recording using LSDJ.  Kind of annoying because mixing LSDJ recorded audio with programmed drums or other electronic instruments becomes somewhat of a pain.

We've recorded all our LSDJ channels at once so far but I think we'll try recording the separate channels for our next record.

Ciudad de méxico, MX
SketchMan3 wrote:

I think the emulator BGB has the ability to export separate channels. However, that doesn't do you any good if you're using an actual Gameboy.

this is a great way to do it. check if you like the sound before exporting wink

BC, Canada

Are there any Linux emulators that have a channel-splitting feature and are compatible with Jack?

I've used both Mednafen and VBA, but no luck... and I can't get LSDJ to run at the correct speed with VBA, anyway.

UK
munchluxe63 wrote:

Are there any Linux emulators that have a channel-splitting feature and are compatible with Jack?

I've used both Mednafen and VBA, but no luck... and I can't get LSDJ to run at the correct speed with VBA, anyway.

not as far as i know. would be nice to be able to route individual channels to jac.

NC in the US of America
munchluxe63 wrote:

If you want VBA on Linux, use VBA-M instead. VBA has always had glitchy choppy sound and slow speed whenever I tried it on a linux system (I've only had 3 Linux systems, though, all Ubuntu). VBAM, however, is awesome. I forgot how I got it, though... I think it's in the ubuntu repository as vbam. If not, then I'm sure it'd be in the getdeb games repository.

If you have Wine, try using BGB, and set "Graphics Output" to "GDI" or something else other than the default to get rid of the choppiness. That's pretty much your best option of all. It's not Linux native, but it works just like it if you use the right settings. Plus, when you record, even if the emulator hiccups while you're doing other tasks on your computer, it still outputs the wav file perfectly.

I actually delete all chains in unused channels and record the lone channel by itself. Then just reopen the song without saving changes and do it again for the other channels. Apparently, even when you mute a channel, the gameboy will still try to process all the information. At least on a DMG for me.

sweden
ChipsChallengeBand wrote:

No, you're probably right, especially under heavy load.  Ticks and tempo are slightly variable when recording using LSDJ.  Kind of annoying because mixing LSDJ recorded audio with programmed drums or other electronic instruments becomes somewhat of a pain.

We've recorded all our LSDJ channels at once so far but I think we'll try recording the separate channels for our next record.

But aren't you using a PSP? Might have to take that into consideration also.