this is my nuby reverb box, it plugs into the bottom of the gameboy and adds a reverb to the pro sound. there is still a couple of things i would like to add to this like an on off button, but i am pleased with how it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_MotfEdw-8

the new circuit

i had to make a change to face plate so i made a new one.

i needed to step down the 9v to a steady 5, so i used a gameboy regulator board, they are awesome!

i have a second input just as a through for the original audio jack, but this is not wired up yet as i don't have a 3.5mm jack socket

the two pots and the 1/4 inch jack, i used stereo pots because they are actually cheaper

Sweden

That's a neat looking mod! I would love to see a diagram of the circuit, too. Judging by part count, it looks cheap enough.

boomlinde wrote:

That's a neat looking mod! I would love to see a diagram of the circuit, too. Judging by part count, it looks cheap enough.

i do have a circuit diagram but it needs cleaning up, the circuit uses 30 (including the IC) components and is based on the PT2399, it cost me a lot in parts but then i was stocking up on components so i ordered about 200 of each component. i have about 10 of the PT2399 chips too.

only real problem is that its mono, for my next mod i will be doing two circuits so i can get stereo.

very cool!

Philly

Damn.  That's unreal!

Carbondale, IL

That has got to be the largest free-form circuit I have ever seen.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

i was just gunna ask if that was a pt2399 circuit. hahahaha.. you're crazy man.. lol.. i'd never have the patience to rock a point to point on that. Very cool mod though! you should install a momentary pushbutton that bypass's the 15K repeat resistor for an infinite Slam switch! :-D

low-gain wrote:

i was just gunna ask if that was a pt2399 circuit. hahahaha.. you're crazy man.. lol.. i'd never have the patience to rock a point to point on that. Very cool mod though! you should install a momentary pushbutton that bypass's the 15K repeat resistor for an infinite Slam switch! :-D

ooh now there's an idea! i might give that a go actually, its got to come apart anyway to fit a power switch,

and yea i did one on PCB that didn't fit so it had to go smaller, but i didn't realise just how many components there were! i had to start routing the legs of some components around other components just to hold it all together, and it was still a tight fit

scienceguy8 wrote:

That has got to be the largest free-form circuit I have ever seen.

its about half the size of a golf ball! 30 components

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

I'm designing a delay based around that chip.. should be cool.
I'm also building up a few stereo delay boxes based off the Rebote 2.5 delay circuit..
wont it into a nuby though. hahaha

IL, US

next step is clearly to do another, this one with spring reverb wink
no, this is seriously a cool mod, even if im personally not too into reverb

Cambridge, MA

Whoa, that's really cool. Nice job fitting it in that small area. Haha.

Hmmmm, a quick question though, any advice for what to read up on using chips like this for effects? I'm trying to see if I can build my own pedals to be used for my guitar and gameboy because i think it'll be cheaper than buying $100 pedals. Plus it'll be DIY which is always cooler. ^_^ But I've never really messed with circuitry before.

low-gain wrote:

I'm designing a delay based around that chip.. should be cool.
I'm also building up a few stereo delay boxes based off the Rebote 2.5 delay circuit..
wont it into a nuby though. hahaha

that sounds cool i would like to see that, are you going to post them here?

e.s.c. wrote:

i was thinking about what i could fit in there, i think anything else other than a reverb would have been too big, but its still fun, you get some weird effects when adjusting the duty cycle

BetaSynapse wrote:

Whoa, that's really cool. Nice job fitting it in that small area. Haha.

Hmmmm, a quick question though, any advice for what to read up on using chips like this for effects? I'm trying to see if I can build my own pedals to be used for my guitar and gameboy because i think it'll be cheaper than buying $100 pedals. Plus it'll be DIY which is always cooler. ^_^ But I've never really messed with circuitry before.

thanks,

as for effects pedals, well i haven't really done much in the way of audio manipulation before, i just looked up reverb on the nex and found this chip and looked for example circuits based on it. so i suppose you just want to look up what you want to do and see if you can find any info on it.

with electronics you have to take your time, i did this circuit twice, and both times they failed the first time, the one i did on PCB failed because i had shorted some tracks, and the second one failed because i put a resistor in series instead of parallel, so you just have to keep working on them and they will work eventually.

Sweden
e.s.c. wrote:

plate reverb