NC in the US of America
Saskrotch wrote:

this interferes with a compilation i'm putting together. it's specifically designed to make sure there's nothing left to respect or take seriously about chip music.

How come people can do rock/EDM/metal/jazz/folk/rap/etc. music inspired by video games, but not so with chiptune? That hardly seems progressive...

Oh, and R&B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfTc6WvN_wI

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 6, 2012 7:02 am)

vancouver, canada

just don't release the compilation on the same day that i release my innovative Chrono Trigger Music Tribute Album

Chicago IL
SketchMan3 wrote:

How come people can do rock/EDM/metal/jazz/folk/rap/etc. music inspired by video games, but not so with chiptune? That hardly seems progressive...

wait what part of doing a video game music compilation with video game hardware is progressive

NC in the US of America
Saskrotch wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

wait what part of doing a video game music compilation with video game hardware is progressive

The part where the medium is taken seriously enough for it not to matter.

I mean, hardly anybody does it (except for the original composers who created the celebrated OSTs in the first place). That "Rockman Chiptuned" album was pretty siiiiick. Nobody gets upset when a person does a tribute to blues with a guitar or a movie tribute on film.

But I guess we haven't gotten there yet. Maybe in 20 years or so...

Also, I was half-joking/half-serious.

buffalo, NY

Fuck I forgot to include my Zelda sample

TSSBAY01

cmon guys, hes just trying to spread the love for the music of a mainly unknown game series

California

Only thing with ish like dis is fools be laggig like a ho and your stuck with all the easiest to compose cliche songs.by dubstepnoob McMidifile and firends.which iz boooooooring and not very proggy. #proovemeerong ps I got a pretty cool gerardo valey nsf.

.FILTHadelphia

I have a two issues with this compilation but creating a chiptune chiptune compilation isn't one of them. There's plenty of stuff you can do to cover a song to give it your own style and if working within the realm of chiptune is what you do then have at it, make it your own. But...

Firstly there should be some ground rules laid out to make it stand out or for anyone to give a shit. I'd say first and foremost either pick a specific tracker for all these songs to be composed in or at the very least make it a different system. An FM Synthesis Zelda chiptune album would be interesting even for people who aren't into chipmusic might give that a listen. Just making a general "do whatever you want" is going to yield boring results since most people tracking with FamiTracker or LSDJ. You don't want it to sound too much like the original piece of music so at least try using different tools.

Lastly, fucking Zelda? God, that game is tired. Yea, the music is great but everybody and their kid sister has made a Fruity Loops remix of a Zelda song, pick a different game! There's 1000s of other games with chiptune soundtracks, why doesn't anyone ever give credit to Skate or Die!? That whole game has the greatest fucking jams.

› Show Spoiler

NC in the US of America

Awwww, dude. Skate Or Die! "Bad n Rad" for the Gameboy had some great tunes, too. Man... and what about "Rygar"? That's some good stuff too... And "Time Lord"

Edit: And Section Z and Bonk's Adventure

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 6, 2012 8:53 pm)

California

The thing is there is this whole scene of dudes/dudettes who use those instrument patches. To make original tunes.not many people apreciate them enough and than people act like there needs to be more zelda covers online .ufeelme?

oh sad so you don't want to do the comp guys sad

We could do a Christian/Babtist chiptune compilation instead!!

or mabey a Cooking Mumma compliation????

uhajdafdfdfa

you really got me good ho ho ho ho i am raging mad

ant1 wrote:

you really got me good ho ho ho ho i am raging mad

I don't understand? what's funny

no cooking mumma comp????

Last edited by StuckInAn8bitWorld (Jul 7, 2012 12:12 am)

Orange County, CA
Auxcide wrote:

In b4 moved to the compilation forum and or flamed/trolled.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I won.
This land is my land, I'll call it. . . ant1. After the great ant1, of course.

NSW, Australia
CMO Troll wrote:

it's for real.