Holland

My stereo doesn't work (only the left side) when I put in the ribbon cable, oddly enough it does work without it (but that is obviously not an option). It is modded (RCA + backlight + biversion). and everything else seems to work fine.

Last edited by relo (Jul 7, 2012 10:43 am)

Chicago

Why would you only put the left side of the ribbon cable in? This sounds very dangerous, it could easily fuck your CPU's detection of button presses. So I would recommend inserting it all the way or leaving it disconnected.

Does the stereo problem happen only with the headphone jack? or RCA too? (I'm assuming you don't have 1/4")
Is it the left or right channel that is still functional?

Holland

Sorry for the mix up, I meant only the left part of the stereo works then. I have ribbon cable fully plugged in.

As far as I know its only the headphone, but could be both, I can't test as I don't have an RCA cable yet (but I suspect both because it the stereo works when the ribbon cable isn't plugged in).And no I don't have a 1/4''.  (I'm a newb but its gone better than expected.)

Last edited by relo (Jul 6, 2012 9:56 pm)

Holland

I was also wondering if someone else ever had/has this problem. because to me its a really strange one.

It is strange... In fact, it doesn't make sense.

The only thing I can think of that went wrong is that the ribboncable somehow has a short in it, which grounds the right channel in some way...

Which is weird, because the ribbon cable and front pcb have nothing to do with the sound...

If you have another DMG, you can check if the problem still happens when you mix up the pcb's of both dmg's.

See if the problem is in the front or back pcb...

Oh hey, you're from holland!
Dan had ik dit ook gewoon in het Nederlands kunnen typen tongue

Last edited by Timbob (Jul 7, 2012 12:35 pm)

Holland

Jup, dat had je ook gewoon kunnen doen.

But I found what the problem was. When I installed the biversion chip I had cut 3 wires (not 2) so I bridged the last (on the left of them) but combined with bad soldering it did something (likely grounded) with the right channel which apparently lays besides that. but now its fixed so finally my first DMG is done (for now?).

Chicago
relo wrote:

But I found what the problem was. When I installed the biversion chip I had cut 3 wires (not 2) so I bridged the last (on the left of them) but combined with bad soldering it did something (likely grounded) with the right channel which apparently lays besides that. but now its fixed so finally my first DMG is done (for now?).

Good detective work! There is always more modifications too be done.

Holland
GoingHam wrote:
relo wrote:

Good detective work! There is always more modifications too be done.

Thanks. Any suggestions for later mods? I'm likely mostly gonna use it for gaming sound effects (as a game designer) and just for fun.