NC in the US of America

Man. I thought the VIB option only changed the SHAPE of the vibrato, not the speed. I could have really used that on the cover song that I did... It was hard getting the vibrato of the vocals right.

Rochester, NY

Well, I think about it like this... if LSDJ processes in ticks, a HF VIB shape would have a smooth wave over those ticks, but a spread out wave would be slowed down, yeah? 

Like, if _--==--_--==--_--==--_--==--_--==--_ is HF, then _____-----------=========-----------________ is the larger sine wave over the same number of ticks, which leads to slower vibrato.

Extra shapes are just the icing on top, but they work the same way, yeah? 
Like, the square is _______________================_______________ over the same number of ticks, and
the sawtooth is ___----=====_____-----=====___----=====_____-----===== over the same number of ticks.  Which is why you get different pulse sweeps and bends using different waves.  You can hear it real good on a square, the vibrato just bounces back and forth between your chosen tones.

Did that make sense?  Hm, I wonder.  Also, sorry if this was common knowledge.

Last edited by ChipsChallengeBand (Jul 12, 2012 6:09 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

HF vibrato/pitch slides are not tied to ticks. Non-HF vibrato pitch slides are tied to ticks, which may be limiting in some instances, and useful in others because of the predictability.

Bristol, UK

Would it be possible to change LSDj so that you could have the option of HF but with slow pitch slides? Or is there some technical reason why you don't have the option? And how come there aren't HF options for the other waves?

NC in the US of America
ChipsChallengeBand wrote:

Well, I think about it like this... if LSDJ processes in ticks, a HF VIB shape would have a smooth wave over those ticks, but a spread out wave would be slowed down, yeah? 

Like, if _--==--_--==--_--==--_--==--_--==--_ is HF, then _____-----------=========-----------________ is the larger sine wave over the same number of ticks, which leads to slower vibrato.

Extra shapes are just the icing on top, but they work the same way, yeah? 
Like, the square is _______________================_______________ over the same number of ticks, and
the sawtooth is ___----=====_____-----=====___----=====_____-----===== over the same number of ticks.  Which is why you get different pulse sweeps and bends using different waves.  You can hear it real good on a square, the vibrato just bounces back and forth between your chosen tones.

Did that make sense?  Hm, I wonder.  Also, sorry if this was common knowledge.

Ah, yah, that makes sense. I don't even know what HF means, and didn't really know what shape it was. Good explanation.

Matthew Joseph Payne

If you want really really slow vibrato, use low freq vib, then make a table with P01 and PFF commands. You can control the speed by changing the groove of the table.

Rochester, NY
nitro2k01 wrote:

HF vibrato/pitch slides are not tied to ticks. Non-HF vibrato pitch slides are tied to ticks, which may be limiting in some instances, and useful in others because of the predictability.

Oh, really?  How is HF calculated then?

Russian Fedration. Moscow City

You can control your pithc bu usin P:01 then after some time place P:00 PITCHED SOUND WILL BE FIXED. for a moment that u place P:01 again or something like that. I love this kind of tick heart

washington
kineticturtle wrote:

If you want really really slow vibrato, use low freq vib, then make a table with P01 and PFF commands. You can control the speed by changing the groove of the table.

With a M command?

NC in the US of America
balloonbear wrote:

You can control your pithc bu usin P:01 then after some time place P:00 PITCHED SOUND WILL BE FIXED. for a moment that u place P:01 again or something like that. I love this kind of tick heart

Ah, so that works on PU1? I tried doing that on PU2 but it just got stuck at the bent pitch. Cool.

Also... did not know you could change the groove of the tables.

Gosford, Australia
some idiot wrote:

is there anything you can do to control the phase of a slow vibrato or do you just have to settle for PFF?

OKAY so I get how this works now that I'm at home and able to try it and I see why this question is really dumb!

balloonbear wrote:

Yeah this is handy with kickdrums when you want the bass and kick to play at the same time on the same channel (or at least sound like it). If you put a transpose right after the P:00 command you can play whatever dang bass note you like as well.

ChipsChallengeBand wrote:

Oh, really?  How is HF calculated then?

They're pre-defined LFO speeds AFAIK

E:

SketchMan3 wrote:

Ah, so that works on PU1? I tried doing that on PU2 but it just got stuck at the bent pitch. Cool.

It works on both, or at least it does for me. When my Kick/bass is a pulse it's nearly always on PU2.

Last edited by Victory Road (Jul 13, 2012 2:01 am)

Matthew Joseph Payne
basspuddle wrote:
kineticturtle wrote:

With a M command?

No, M affects volume. What you're doing is shifting the pitch manually up and down with P commands.

Philly

Do all these tricks apply to the L command as well?

Rochester, NY

I think the vibration type does, at least.

buffalo, NY
Ro-Bear wrote:

Do all these tricks apply to the L command as well?

yes

Tacoma, WA
kineticturtle wrote:

figuring out groove tables makes things sooo much easier... it lets you become far more particular in your placement of notes and effects...

been playing around with some funky bass lines in the wav channel all day... is good... amright? [~-~]