This idea popped into my head today when I was talking to a old internet friend about this project a art community we belonged to had. The idea was to have 1 sketchbook and people would take turns mailing it too each other to draw on one page until the book was full. I think it would be pretty badass if we used the same principle but on a flash cartridge using LSDJ...

Before I invest in buying a flash cart for this weird but possibly wonderful objective I would appreciate feedback/comments on what the rest of the community think about this possible future idea.

This requires alot of trust that nobody simply "loses" the cartridge or it "never arrived", because we all know there are always a few dicks in a community who would spoil it for everyone by simply keeping the cartridge.

Milan, Italy

many people working on a infinite 2 hour song?
or many people writing many songs?

The first optinon would be really nice!

I've tried some lsdj collaboration before (on the same song) and were funny. smile

edit: btw we could do this simply sharing a *.sav file.

Last edited by arottenbit (Feb 20, 2010 4:24 pm)

arottenbit wrote:

many people working on a infinite 2 hour song?
or many people writing many songs?

The first optinon would be really nice!

I've tried some lsdj collaboration before (on the same song) and were funny. smile

Well that's the thing, I would love to start this project but we need to answer these questions first. What exactly are we going to do on this cartridge.
I personally would love one big ass song, but with that comes alot of dangers of people accidently messing up peoples parts and song limit restrictions(dont know if it exists). but then again having lots of individual songs by lots of people would be pretty amazing too.

Milan, Italy

we could organize groups.
"only" 3 people working on each song or something like that.

Btw i would prefer to work on a sav file than a physical cart.

Wasn't there an IRC channel for stuff like this?

I think it was #savswap.

Yeah, a physical cart is a bit too risky. People are jerks.

London, UK

i'd be up for this, sharing the .sav is a much wiser + cheaper way of doing it, one person works on the .sav at a time

you could allocate a certain amount of blocks for each song, that way everyone gets a fair chance and there's more limitations to work within!

Last edited by Sabrepulse (Feb 20, 2010 5:01 pm)

hrrmm I guess I like the idea of one cart being sent to many artists across the globe and worked on compared to a .sav sent around via email more than others /:

Liverpool, UK

The cart idea, whilst nice, is a lot less likely to work - email is great wink

Another thing, what if the cart got corrupted?

I think it's a little too risky and unreliable.

London, UK

it's simple, you only send the .sav to one artist at a time - and it's emailed

arlen wrote:

Well I was going to get a cartridge which could be backed up, so if in the event the cart does fuck up it could be loaded again with the .sav before hand.

Eugene, OR
Flopps wrote:
arlen wrote:

Well I was going to get a cartridge which could be backed up, so if in the event the cart does fuck up it could be loaded again with the .sav before hand.

So would it need to be sent back to you after each artist or are they supposed to back it up when they are done and email you the .sav?

Brazil

We did something like that before and worked just fine by swaping savs!

Here's the link!

(also, sending carts across the globe is a bad idea, not only because people might hold the cart, but it can get hold in the post office)

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Feb 20, 2010 6:58 pm)

rochester, ny

yeah, i'd definitely be into trading savs with people.

capcomposer wrote:
Flopps wrote:

So would it need to be sent back to you after each artist or are they supposed to back it up when they are done and email you the .sav?

I would probably set up a login and upload webpage similar to http://www.30songs30days.com/

IL, US

i was actually going to do this with nanoloop at one point...still might, though obviously that would be a situation where i carefully chose who to send it to and who they sent it to next (and make each person record their track before they mail it to be safe)