bryface wrote:

super solid release!  when the single-channel staccato volumeslided chords came in during "Broken Song" i woke up in 1992 and decided to live there for three years.

oh hey i wanted to ask, i think i remember you writing an article/blog a few years back about emulating PWM pulse waves in protracker, but i can't for the life of me locate it.  is my memory faulty or did you in fact write it and then delete it later on or something?

Thanks, yes I deleted that blog a while back.

Following on from iLKke's post, another way of doing it (which I used on Sable) involves two channels. Firstly make two identical saw wave instruments and reverse the sample in one of them.  Then set the finetune on that reversed instrument to a small value (-8 or +8 in an XM tracker, or use the E1x command in PT)   Now if you play the same notes on both channels you'll get a PWM pulse wave sound.   If you're using Milky/FastTracker the X command (ultra fine-pitch) is preferable, can get some nice variations out of that.

Last edited by 4mat (Jul 16, 2012 12:33 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

wow this is Raddy

i think you're great

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
4mat wrote:

Following on from iLKke's post, another way of doing it (which I used on Sable) involves two channels. Firstly make two identical saw wave instruments and reverse the sample in one of them.  Then set the finetune on that reversed instrument to a small value (-8 or +8 in an XM tracker, or use the E1x command in PT)   Now if you play the same notes on both channels you'll get a PWM pulse wave sound.   If you're using Milky/FastTracker the X command (ultra fine-pitch) is preferable, can get some nice variations out of that.

Oh cool, I do that with multi-oscillator synthesizers.
Anyway, I really liked Sable. smile

vancouver, canada
4mat wrote:
bryface wrote:

super solid release!  when the single-channel staccato volumeslided chords came in during "Broken Song" i woke up in 1992 and decided to live there for three years.

oh hey i wanted to ask, i think i remember you writing an article/blog a few years back about emulating PWM pulse waves in protracker, but i can't for the life of me locate it.  is my memory faulty or did you in fact write it and then delete it later on or something?

Thanks, yes I deleted that blog a while back.

right on, thanks for the protip.  the original article was just a random brain itch that i wanted to scratch, there wasn't really any reason other than that.

is there a difference in doing the two-channel method, sonically?  or is this is the only way to achieve that kind of PWM effect in trackers other than PT 2.x?  ( i take it also that the two-channel method requires the channel to be in the same place in the stereo spectrum in order for the PWM effect to happen.)

anyway; added to cart

uhajdafdfdfa

so many old modules just sample a 5 second pwm sound. i appreciate 4mat is not a fan of this method

England

great string samples! :)

São Paulo, Brazil

amazing. as always.

bryface wrote:

right on, thanks for the protip.  the original article was just a random brain itch that i wanted to scratch, there wasn't really any reason other than that.

is there a difference in doing the two-channel method, sonically?  or is this is the only way to achieve that kind of PWM effect in trackers other than PT 2.x?  ( i take it also that the two-channel method requires the channel to be in the same place in the stereo spectrum in order for the PWM effect to happen.)

anyway; added to cart

The two-channel method has smoother sweeps and you have more control over the speed of the PWM without having to type in a line of instrument numbers.  (for example putting X11 on one note then X14 on another gives very different sweep speeds)   It works great for saw waves but you mostly only get phasing with other waveforms.   I haven't tried it with pure hardware channels but with software mixing you can put both channels anywhere in the stereo position. (I can't vouch for surround or above, you might get some weirdness there)

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Love it. I can't get enough of Sable!

devblog

uhajdafdfdfa
4mat wrote:

devblog

DEVBLOG

ohgodno, Indiana

Good stuff, thanks 4mat smile